16. The Water Maiden: Part 3

Getting ready to leave the inn, I made sure we didn't look too much like suspicious vagabonds

Getting ready to leave the inn, I made sure we didn't look too much like suspicious vagabonds. Walking towards the stables, the bounty hunters were still lurking about, but we passed them unnoticed. As we trotted out of the gate, I made a mental note to clear up this issue after this water maiden situation was through.

"Say Jy..."

"What?"

"Wh-what happens to the water maiden after they're given to the water deity?"

"Depends on the deity", I said coldly.

"Such as?"

"The books say some become servants of the deity, others their spouse or concubine, or worse, they're tortured and killed, then have their souls trapped forever"

Sao shivered audibly.

"Why?", I asked.

"It's just... we're close now", he mumbled and fell silent.

Ignoring his worry, we made way to the main city of the Duke's fief, a beautiful land along the river, just before the Lowland swamps. Passing the checkpoint, we weaved our way through the crowd and presented ourselves to the castle guard to which they directed us to the main entrance. Pacing and looking poorly, the Grand Duke stood before the doors. In the most polite manner I could muster in this situation, I gently introduced myself.

"Grand Duke, I, Jylan, daughter of House Aniceta, greet thee", I bowed, "This is my younger brother, Saovin. We are here to fulfill the request of transport"

"Yes, yes alright" the Duke huffed, "Forgive me, I'm in no mood for pleasantries."

"I deeply understand", I kindly replied.

"But to think not only is this spirit business real, but the Aniceta family is involved"

"Forgive the secrecy, my lord, it was by last request of the late king, and I hope you understand to keep it that way for now"

"Well yes, I suppose I could understand, given who his successor is...", he cut off his reproach of the current king.

Uncomfortably, he cleared his throat as he led us inside, where we were placed in a waiting room.

"I will go retrieve my son", he said uneasily.

Moments later he entered with a man dressed in white ornate robes, a veil, and a hood.

"This is my son is, Tyril", the Duke held back tears, "please take good care of him on your way"

"Of course your grace", I replied.

Approaching him, I held up the request from Lord Kano to check his mark. It glowed brightly, meaning we had the right person.

"Young Lord Tyril, I am Jylan Aniceta. I and my brother, Saovin Aniceta, shall be your guides and confidants on this journey. Please bear with us and the discomforts you may have on the way...", I politely said, "As we are now on a time limit, let us depart '', I held up the request paper that now showed the number of days and hours remaining.