Epilogue: Part 2 - When Monarchs Fly

{ Epilogue: Part 2 - When Monarchs Fly }

The sky grew brighter, fading its vibrant colours for the rising blue. You nuzzled into Bakugo's shoulder, listening to the neighborhood as it wakened into morning.

Eventually, Kirishima joined the two of you on the roof, curling up on Bakugo's other side. His red locks were a mess, sticking out at strange angles. When you tried to fix them, smooth them into his signature style, they'd pop back out like stubborn rocks. You giggled.

"I'll fix them later," Kirishima sighed defeatedly.

You tucked a runaway piece behind his ear. His eyes drifted to your hand. He took your fingers in his own, looking over them curiously.

"Your nails," he said, concerned. "They're all chipped."

Even now, Kirishima still noticed your manicure, something so silly and unimportant to anyone else. Maybe that little oddity of his wasn't just him being his friendly self like you'd once thought.

"On the way to the party, me and Mina were talking about getting our nails done again. Now, they really need a touch up. They got pretty roughed up during the attack."

"Ooh, what color are you going to get this time?"

You bit your lip, looking to Bakugo, who couldn't care less about 'whatever crap you do to your nails', yet, he had his chin perked curiously.

"...I was thinking, maybe a color between a red and orange, something really vibrant."

They both smiled at that.

The three of you sat there for a while, falling into rhythm with the rise and fall of your chests. It was growing into a habit. Or maybe, the shared silence was your way of coping with that night of terror. Finding an air of peace amidst the rumble of explosions, the creaks and groans of the residence building, the screams and cries that echoed in your dreams.

It still baffled you how that night had truly taken a turn for the worst. Silly tournaments and triumph had become a test of skill and survival.

Finding Kirishima's hand, you held it tightly, tucked knees leaning into Bakugo's lap. No words needed to be said. They had the same memories on their minds. Every rooftop now would bring them back. What was once a place of youthful escape during your time in school was now a reminder of that flood, the cries of desperation and the threads you grasped to stay bonded to each other.

Despite the pain, you weren't sure you wanted to take it back. Because at the end of it all, you'd made it out together. Not just as friends, but as something more. And that was a priceless treasure. A feat you weren't sure you would've reached without that night.

"I'm proud of you two," Bakugo said. "That night was one of the shittiest of my life. We did what we had to do as heroes. But, I let my emotions take over me. I remember feeling abandoned. Betrayed. In spite of that, you both stood by my side. I wasn't alone. I never liked working with others. You guys know that. But when it's you two, I feel stronger, somehow. And that comes at a cost. I'm realizing that now."

"What do you mean by that?" Kirishima asked softly.

Bakugo sighed. "When we were on that rooftop, I really thought you were both gonna die. And that did something to me. I felt that pain, like I wanted to die too. It changed me. Now, I get these dreams. Like the one last night. Dreams where I watch you two struggle. And every time, no matter what I do, I can't save you."

Your heart sank, pulling away, only to see loss in his eyes.

"We're heroes. And that means we put our futures, our lives on the line. What happens if one of you has to throw your life away for the sake of another? What if I can't be there to save you?"