Scene 29: Gasping for Air

{ Scene 29: Gasping for Air }

"We're going to try something crazy," you breathed, eyes fixed on the woman ahead.

"Huh? What'd'you mean by crazy?" Bakugo scoffed.

Kirishima sighed, audible and uncertain.
"Yeah, no offense – but you're not really the spontaneous type. You sure all your marbles are still there after the blast?"

Hand on each of their backs, you pinched them through the fabric. They yelped in unison.

"Hey! What the hell?"

"Sheesh, so quick to judge. This is the only plan I can think of right now. We don't really have much of a choice," you explained.

Their hesitancy couldn't be blamed. Especially with their current condition and the stakes against them, it was a miracle they'd even consider your plan. But, you had to give it a shot. One last attempt to steer the ship to victory.

Under hushed voices, you plead your last-minute strategy.

The witch drew closer, her disheveled, wavy hair blowing in the turbulence of her quirk. The tear running up the leg of skirt and the dirty smears across her once neatly pressed shirt gave her the state of a freshly plucked corpse from a watery rapid.

The woman without a name, Aunty, held a darkened look in her eyes. A look muddled with childhood trauma and jealousy and hatred; dark and clouded like the eerie depths of a lake. A gaze so murky, the light from the surface was immediately swallowed by its never-ending pit.

She had a goal. And that goal hadn't changed, more so, shifted, it seemed. Adults were stubborn in their ways like that.

Rearranging the boys, you slipped out from under their shoulders. They hung on to each other in the swirling storm. And for the first time in your friendship, you led the path.

Aunty shuddered. The rise of her palms led the rise of her water.

"Stupid girl. Ava won't listen to me thanks to the frivolous ideas you've been feeding her," she spat.

You shook your head, marching forward. "I don't deserve the credit. That was all Ava. It seems like she's had enough. Why don't we just settle things here? Let it go, and put everything in the past?"

"...That was a nice attempt dear, but I'm afraid I can't do that. You should stay out of my family's business. For your own good."

Swallowing down the nerves buzzing in your ears, you remembered Ava's strength. Her bravery. The boys behind you looked on, watching your back. Your dream, sparkling in the light of the stars, was waiting for you in the dawn of the next day.

"I'm not going to let you take Ava or hurt anyone else here."

It was now or never. No longer amidst a cheesy party game, standing on the battlefield, there was no time to hesitate. It was time to shoot your shot.

With a mocking chuckle, she raised her hands towards you.

"Have it your way."

A dozen snaking tendrils came lunging towards you, some veering around in arcs to reach the boys following your back. The breath from your lungs was slow but calculated. There was just enough vigor in your wind to keep her attack at bay, sending the tips of her water splashing against the force. You paced yourself this time. Another slip up, and you'd lose everything.

As for the crazy part of your plan...

Kirishima directed Bakugo, his sparking fingers held out in front of blind eyes.