Scene 9: Dark Red

{ Scene 9: Dark Red }

The earlier memory from your day. The warm dishwater, the soap bubbles.  It was replaced by chilling water rushing through your fingers and passing waves of nausea. Whether the stomach sickness was from the brown sludge or from the harsh reminder of your well-kept secret, you couldn't decide.

Your quick washup in the bathroom sink was interrupted by that familiar sing song voice. Her plea was a stream of tumbling words, laid in full force at Kirishima who'd been guarding the door outside, his arm still faithfully attached to yours. 

At this point, you were surprised Kirishima hadn't suggested the idea of clipping the tape. With everything you'd been through, it was almost more than an inconvenience to be stuck together. His arm intruded into your tiny bathroom space, a strong reminder of his loyalty.

Cool water against your skin, you ran the tap in the quiet little powder room, perking an ear to their muffled conversation. 

It wasn't that you were listening, more so just picking out stray words and the tones of their voices. It felt wrong, eavesdropping on your best friends like this. But you could forgive yourself. They were just outside the bathroom after all.

What you couldn't forgive was how your heart clenched in your chest. How your body fell still and cold. When the memories came drifting back, flipping through pages of an embarrassing photo book you wished to forget.

You heard their voices together, their giggles and their banter from outside the crack in the door, and you were reminded of all those years, when they were more than just friends to each other.

Red and pink. You felt sick. But maybe that was just from the alcohol.

Mina snuck her way into the little bathroom, frizzy curls dancing under the sickly yellow light.  You had to push away your lingering thoughts, because here she was, makeup bag in hand, towel on her lap, hairbrush on the counter, piecing you back together.

A forever friend.

How could you assume her betrayal and feel that creeping sickness draw near at the thought of her and Kirishima being together, when they were just friends?

You were in the wrong, and you needed to do something about it.

"Girl - who laced this up for you? It's like a freaking jungle back here. I don't even know where the ribbon starts," she said, picking away at your top.

There was a fluttering warmth, recalling the outline of his roughened fingers against your back; a memory from earlier that night. "Be quiet, he's standing outside," you muttered.

Mina squeaked, pulling you towards her, almost prying to see your face. And she gave you that look. Without words, you could hear her tumbling over herself with excitement for you.

All you could manage was a sheepish smile.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask her. To clear the last of the dirty water floating through your thoughts. To start anew and get rid of the creeping intrusions wedging between your friendship.

"Mina," you asked carefully. "Do you, um – " you paused. Gaining her undivided attention, you lowered your voice to a whisper.

"Do you think Kirishima likes anyone?"

Mina giggled, leaning into your ear from behind you. "Don't you mean, if Kirishima likes you?"

"No! No, like... I don't know," you trailed off into embarrassment. You couldn't help but ask.  The question was eating away at you, lingering in every glance, every flutter of your heart.