Scene 1: A Street Called Home

{ Scene 1: A Street Called Home }

"So we'll see you there tonight?" Kirishima asked, half leaning out of the doorway.

"Of course. Can't imagine missing it after all the work we did today."

"Yeah, no kidding! But it was totally worth it. I can't wait to see Mina's reaction. It's gonna be such a fun time, all thanks to you Ms. PartyPlanner~"

You smiled. "Hey, D-Don't call me that!"

"Aww, why not? The others get to - and I think it's cute."

Bakugo grumbled. "That's not her name idiot! Listen, I don't care if you're planning shitty hair's shitty funeral here, you're always gonna be a damn airhead to me."

"Chill out Bakugo. Geez man, it sounds like you need a nap. Didn't realize all the prep work today wore you out this much," Kirishima chuckled.

"Shut the hell up! I'm not a baby! I'm fine!"

"Whatever you say~"

┈ ━ ◇ ━ ┈

The night air was brisk in your lungs as you sauntered down the quiet road. A ghostly neighborhood, littered with parked cars, darkened windows, and garbage bins perched along its curb. Under the warm yellow glow of the streetlights above, you and Mina filled the empty space, her sing-song laughter brightening the cold empty street.

You'd walked this road before, too many times to count. Often with the sassy pink friend that dawdled beside you. Your limbs were cold, but your heart was racing; lips sealed to more than secret, unbeknownst to your friend.

"Ew look at all these cans," she grimaced, kicking one to the side. Beer cans and pizza boxes overflowed the trash bin of the passing house, likely another student household. "I'm pretty sure our guys drink that brand. Have you had it before?"

"I think Sero convinced me to try it last homecoming... maybe?... You remember that night, don't you?" you asked. Your memories of the event were more blurry than anything.

"Seriously, I could never forget that hoco," she said. "That was the one with the giant dance mob! And you were actually there in the crowd with me, dancing like we owned the place – oh-my-gosh and you carried me home after, all the way down this stinkin' hill. Honestly, I still feel like I owe you for that one."

You chuckled at her recollection of the night. Of course she'd remember the dance part and not the terrible pickup line fiasco or getting drenched in alcohol or the mental breakdown part. You may have rocked it on the dance floor, but the two of you were wrecks that night, at least as far as you could remember. But you had one another through the worst of it all.

"Don't be ridiculous, we've always looked out for each other," you said.

The statement, however cheesy, was true, and you both knew it.

"More like you're always looking after me," she teased, turning over her shoulder.

"It was gross by the way. The brand they like." you said, grimacing from the memory. "Pretty sure I puked afterwards, and it tasted better on the way out. And don't you dare tell them or I'll never hear the end of it."

Mina blurted out a laugh. "Pinky here will Pinky promise"

All these memories together on this street: singing the soundtrack to your favorite musical, carrying wobbly cupcakes you'd impulsively baked together, trudging up the road with bags full of textbooks and begging Bakugo for help, riding shopping carts down the hill, crying drunkenly and falling into the bushes by the bus stop.