Scene 11: The Night I Asked You

{ Scene 11: The Night I Asked You }

The two of you fell into a comfortable silence, listening to the quiet whir of the wind, the buzzing of electric wires, a faint dog barking down the street, the gentle lull of the moon above.

The smell of fresh, earthy, night air brought some clarity to your senses. You were buzzing with energy and life, free to the will of the sky. Sitting on the roof and watching the stars always stirred something thrilling but humbling inside you.  Even with the power to alter the course of the wind, a literal force of nature, in the grand scheme of things, you were just a small little speck looking up at an abyss of sprinkled spheres of gas and flame.

You were so small, so powerless to the universe.  Every problem, every worry in your life was insignificant in its presence. Your strength, your quirk, it was nothing compared to its sublime nature.

Drowning in the uncertainty that swallowed your vision, you were unsure how to feel. Peace, knowing that no matter your choices, the world would keep spinning, or fear, recognizing how little control you held against it all.

Kirishima must have seen the perplexity swirling in your eyes.

"You must still be wondering what we were screaming out here for," Kirishima said. "Bakugo likes to hold stuff in... to keep to himself sometimes. I'm sure you've noticed it too, but he's been kinda on edge lately, and he won't tell me why... And that's okay, but I figured that if he doesn't want to share with me, I could at least give him a strategy to vent all the other stuff out of the way."

"I'm sure he appreciates little things like that.  You've always been good at helping Bakugo without smothering him, y'know?" you added. "You let him handle things his way. You give him space while being close by, just in case."

Kirishima smiled quietly to himself. "I guess I've never thought about that before... A-anyway, do you wanna give it a try?"

"Give what a try?"

"You know, shouting out all the big scary stuff, letting it all out?"

You brought a thumb to your lip in contemplation.  What was there to vent about? Besides the obvious... not that you had the guts to confess your feelings when the boy was sitting mere centimeters away.

But you finally decided, shuffling on the shingles of the roof and taking a deep breath.

"Tell me what to do with my life! Where to go? What to sacrifice?" you professed to the night sky, looming endlessly above you. "I don't know what the hell I'm doing because I can't decide!!"

Kirishima chuckled. Your cheeks fell flush and warm in a breathy release.

"That's a good one," he said.

A good one. Because it was true about it all. It encompassed all your worries, all your gripes with life and the uncertainties it had in store.  You didn't know what your future held.  That email in your inbox was left unreplied. The decision to move abroad was left undecided. The love for your friend was left unconfessed.

"I try to plan for these things... but it's impossible to plan it all. I just wish I knew... I wish I could know that I'd make a good hero, and know where my life is going to take me, and know how people felt about me..."

"Well... I think I know two and a half of those things already," he said, grinning smugly.

"What do you mean?"

Kirishima leaned back against his hands, eyes drifting between you and the stars. "For one, I know that you'll probably be super successful and go to big places in life. You're always striving to outdo yourself. That's just how you are. Both you and Bakugo are like that... And second, you're going to be a great hero because you already are one. Duh. Even I could figure that out," he chuckled.