Scene 25: The Big Three

{ Scene 25: The Big Three }

"H-How do you want to go about this? Do we all attack at once?" you started, your eyeline hidden in their shoulder blades.

As if you weren't already intimidated by their strength and performance as heroes, your partners had to go ahead and be built attractive too. Bakugo's hero costume cut into the bulk of his shoulders, tight ripples of black curving around his scapula. Kirishima's costume left little to the imagination. Covered only by the ragged strip of his sash, the dip of his spine trailed below his cloth wrap. Their back muscles alone were enough to have you shrinking in your hero boots.

"Hah?" Bakugo turned over his shoulder. "Weren't you listening newbie?"

Your mouth felt dry, hoping there wasn't a flush to your cheeks. "I-I was! But–"

"But-nothing! Clean out your ears and quit pissin' your pants! I refuse to lose to that damn nerd and the IcyHot bastard!" he growled.

Kirishima sighed, patting your shoulder. "Sorry about him... He's kind of a lot at first. But once you get used to him, he's not that bad. Just has a determined spirit 's all! Isn't that right Bakugo?"

"Shut UP. And stay out of my way, got it?"

The dreamy redhead nudged his grumpy dynamite-stick of a partner. There was an odd friendship between them, like a rare but charming alliance between a cat and dog.

"Mr. Aizawa said this was a group exercise. I know you want to win, but, if you want a better grade than Midoriya and Todoroki, we're going to have to work together and follow the plan – the other plan," he added.

Your opponents were lined up across the other side of the arena, far enough away that the exchange of conversation would be challenging, requiring an audible yell, which honestly wouldn't be too difficult with the explosive blonde as your teammate. The green freckled boy seemed excited, jittery on his feet. His half-and half partner looked indifferent. Your pink desk buddy waved to you with a cheeky smile, which you reciprocated with smaller, shier wave. With what you'd seen of the girl's ability, it almost bothered you that Bakugo hadn't acknowledged any desire to outcompete the pink-skinned girl, as if she wasn't worth the same effort. Or maybe, his grudge against the other two was even greater.

Bakugo groaned. "Why do I gotta fight Ms. Alien princess?"

Kirishima raised his brow in peaceful retaliation.

The blonde's frustration continued. "Seriously? You're gonna tell me that the newbie here is taking on IcyHot?"

You bit your tongue, wanting to say a million things and yet, not having the courage yet to form the words. Not after his last explosion.

"You're starting with Ashido, but in the end, you're our main attacking force, man," Kirishima reminded fondly. "She'll hold off Todoroki, I'll protect against Midoriya. I think that was the plan... Either way, you'll get your chance to take down both of them eventually if everything goes smoothly."

His words seemed to be enough to extinguish the blonde's flickering irritation. "Fine. Whatever," he grumbled, glaring daggers at the opposing team and rolling a powerful shoulder, circling his arm as if to throw a heated punch.

"I-I'll give him a good fight. I promise," you added quietly, fearful for speaking out of line.

Even your small comment may have crossed the boundary. Bakugo huffed through his nose. "Your job is to act like you're doing something important so we don't fail. Got it?"