Thirty-Two | Kiss

<><><>
SOTC: Sorry by Halsey

One Week Later

I marched into the cafeteria, my back straight. Breaths entered and exited from my nostrils as one heel echoed against the floor after the other to my destination.

Silence fell over the entire cafeteria. Every pair of Ivy's eyes fell on me seconds after I entered in for the first time a week after the event that made Ivy High gossip more than ever recorded. About why the seat in my History class was vacant. Why he has been gone for a week.

Today, I was ready to change the stage.

I ignored the murmurs suddenly erupting in the background, a girl I surprised to such a level she dropped her spaghetti to the floor, and Rosalina and Hallie calling out to me in confusion. All I did was keep walking until I stopped at a table full of the top twenty hottest guys in Ivy who stopped laughing.

Specifically, in front of him.

"Daph—" Cody started.

Before he could finish, I crashed my lips onto his.

Gasps erupted. When I pulled away, I found eyes trembling and every jaw at the table dropping to the floor in sync along with the other ones. A hall monitor dropped their clipboard with a BAM! At the corner of my eye, Rosalina and Hallie had gone a complete ghost-white. Vaughn and Garrett's eyes about dislocated.

Cody grabbed my face and kissed me back.

Hollers, screams, and cheers erupted around us. It was my first time kissing a boy, but it felt right for the act to intensify and everyone in Ivy High to get so progressively chaotic of sound the glass dome could've rained with shattered glass.

The childhood best friends had become lovers.

Cody, eyes filled with joyous tears, pulled away again and kissed my cheek to suffocate me in a hug. I returned the embrace. He rocked me side to side as the cheers turned to claps and an endless AW! From our audience when I had finally done it: the empty, soulless kiss I've prepared for a week to seal the fate.

The fate of the relationship I once wanted.

A/N: They're coming, everyone, the last few chapters of Grey Testament

A personal thank you to everyone who's been sticking around for this work the author has grown to love. One last thing: if anyone reading thinks all the secrets are out, you're in for a rude awakening.

Because a storm is coming.

- Author