Twenty | Cardigan Beeswax

SOTC: All Falls Down by Alan Walker (ft. Noah Cyrus, Juliander)

Daphne Versailles tragically died at 4:57 PM on a Saturday. She will be terribly missed by her family and all of Ivy, but she will spend positivity in a better place.

The cause of death?

Her brother Brandon's electric motorbike.

"Did you get your license from the— frick!" I screamed as Brittany's foot contacted the sidewalk as she swerved right onto a street. "Why do they let children use this? This is an ungodly speed!"

"Cause!" Brittany shouted back.

"Shoot, shoot, shoot!"

However, I continued to repeat this as my cousin drove through five million cul-de-sacs and my neighbor's yard as I clutched her from behind for dear life. Until we reached it: the street of the Versailles mansion.

Holy macaroni we made it.

Brittany turned her head to me. "I see them!"

Two figures stood in my driveway. Kolzyn with his hands in his pockets as he listened to Dad speak.

What were they talking about?

However, that question was short-lived.

"BRITTANY, LOOK OUT!"

"What?" Brittany asked casually before shouting, "SHIT!"

Because then all we saw was the green of a sculpted hedge.

The motorbike collided into it with a VROOM! Gravity vanished as Brittany and I crashed onto the ground on our butts.

I scrambled up to her side. "Brittany, are you ok?"

Brittany laid on the grass. "Lil Huddy, is that you?" she rasped.

"Oh my god! Brittany, you're going to be alright! I'm sorry, I should've never agreed—"

She sat straight up. "Run, bitch!" she exclaimed normally. "I didn't almost kill us for nothing!"

I sprinted out of the bush and up the street at lightning speed while Dad left and Kolzyn, still situated on the driveway, became life-sized.

"Sorry I'm late," I breathed as I went next to him.

"Daphne, Kolzyn!"

Before he could answer, we found Sabrina and Brandon jogging over to us.

Perplexed was an understatement. "Sabrina, what? How did you and Brandon get over here so fast?"

"A shortcut right by the Pirate's rock near our house. Don't you remember taking it?"

Frick me.

However, my self-destruct moment where I wondered how I didn't remember a vital piece of information ceased when Brandon shouted, "Who's that?"

"Who, buddy?" Sabrina asked.

Brandon went over to Kolzyn and yanked down on his sleeve.

Sabrina ran to him. "Brandon, don't—"

"Easy there, lad. You're going to reveal my supersuit."

Kolzyn said this with a chuckle and bright eyes.

Brandon laughed. "What? You can't have a supersuit. Only superheros have supersuits!"

"I am one."

"What's your superhero name?" Brandon asked. "And it has to be a cool superhero name like Batman or Antman."

Kolzyn hummed, tilting his head up and putting his hands on his hips. Then he says:

"Cardigan Beeswax."

Brandon cackled, clutching his tiny stomach as he rolled over onto the ground. Sabrina continuously chuckled. I looked at Kolzyn out of shock.

"What's your superpower?" Brandon went excitedly.

Kolzyn bent down and whispered in his ear, and in response, Brandon gasped with a smile that would melt Antarctica.

"But you have to keep it a secret," he said normally.

Brandon made a zipper motion with his fingers across his lips.

"Ok, I'm here!"

I straightened out my face as Brittany ran up the sidewalk and halted. Her eyes had gone to Kolzyn's before widening at me as a smile curved on her face.

I looked at Sabrina, Kolzyn, and Brandon. "Do you guys mind if I talk to Brittany inside for a moment?" I turned to Kolzyn again. "I'll explain the situation in a minute."

"Yeah," Sabrina said. Kolzyn made a nod of his head as Brandon asked him about what Cardigan Beeswaxes ate for lunch.

Brittany and I went inside the house and into a secluded hallway.

"Ok! Who is that gorgeous greek god from Peaky Blinders on your driveway?" she whisper-yelled with mega-watt eyes.

"Kolzyn," I breathed.

"THAT'S KOLZYN?" Brittany squealed.

I clasped a hand over her mouth. "Keep it down!" She stopped speaking. I put my hand down, pressing my lips together and gazing down.

"What's wrong?"

Here I go.

"Um.. that one night.." I looked around then met her eyes again. "Kolzyn brought me home after what happened to me."

"That was him?" Brittany gasped.

I nodded. She clasped her hands over her mouth as yet another weight of a half-truth saddled itself over my heart. I'll tell her someday, but not now, I whispered inside as my guilt whimpered again. Not until Kolzyn leaves my life.

"What an amazing guy," Brittany whispered as her eyes began to sparkle.

"Oh, Brittany!" I exclaimed.

I embraced her, and she embraced me back. We held each other for a while in silence, feeling the warmth of another person.

When we broke apart, a small curve formed on Brittany's face.

"I guess that's all the more reason to like him," she said quietly as she wiped a tear.