Chapter 99 - Someone Is Vomiting Blood

Începe de la început

Leaving a note, asking the two girls not to worry, Wu Xingzi followed Man Yue and sneaked out of Rancui’s residence.

In the past, when Xia Dageng and his wife went to Qingcheng County to sell their goods, they would always drop by and visit Wu Xingzi. They were quite familiar with each other, and so they also knew about Adviser Wu being taken away by the god-like man. Xia Dageng was not the talkative sort, and he also did not want to listen to the rumours Auntie Li had been spreading. He thought, Adviser Wu was such a good person, and for him to be able to have such good fortune, it was the heavens’ blessing.

Two days ago, in the middle of the night, there had been a fierce pounding on the door of his house, and even his neighbours had been woken up by the commotion. Only after opening the door did he know that it turned out to be Adviser Wu needing his help. There was no reason to refuse. That year, if not for Adviser Wu giving him a hand, he would not be enjoying his days like now, with a wife, children, and a warm bed. Straight away, he packed up all the perfume sachets he had on hand, dragged his wife up, handed his children over to his mother to be taken care of and followed the people knocking on his door.

The journey had been hurried and both meals and sleep were taken care of in a rush. In the blink of an eye, they arrived in the capital, and Xia Dageng and his wife were brought into a luxurious manor that they had never seen or dreamt of in their lives before. It was only when they saw Adviser Wu did they then exhale in relief.

When they were done asking after each other, Adviser Wu could not stop thanking them when accepting the perfume sachets. Xia Dageng was at a loss for what to do with his thanks. He did not feel that he was worth such gratefulness from Adviser Wu, as he was only paying back his kindness.

To Wu Xingzi, no matter what Xia Dageng thought, this favour was much greater in importance than the previous kindness owed. He requested Man Yue to help the couple settle down, as they must have been exhausted hurrying here. Once they were well-rested and well-fed, if they liked, they could stay a few more days in the capital before returning.

Man Yue instructed the housekeeper of the Lord Protector’s estate to handle the matter, then turned and brought Wu Xingzi to Changyou Yard.

“Mr. Wu, you really want to confront Bai Shaochang directly?” Man Yue seemed a little worried. He was not afraid that Wu Xingzi would make a mistake, but rather, how quick would he need to be to flee the capital so as to not let Guan Shanjin chop him up and bury him somewhere.

“Yes. If you’re worried, you can just watch from the sidelines.” Wu Xingzi nodded. He had interrogated quite a number of criminals before. Although Qingcheng County was a small place and no big crimes had ever been committed, there were still the occasional fights and conflicts that needed to be tried.

Man Yue thought about it. He was quite assured about Wu Xingzi, and he was only curious how this gentle and kindly old adviser would instigate Bai Shaochang, who was wholly devoted to Yan Wenxin, to defect.

“If Mr. Wu doesn’t mind, I’ll just watch from the sidelines.”

“Ai, what’s there to mind?” Wu Xingzi smiled. Seeing that Man Yue was about to push open the doors to Bai Shaochang’s room, he could not help but clench his fists and take in a deep breath. Only then did his rapidly beating heart calm down a little, and he nodded forcefully at Man Yue.

Inside the room, Bai Shaochang had already been woken up by the people Man Yue had sent over. Perhaps he might not have been able to sleep well over the past few days, as he looked even more haggard than before. Under his soft and gentle eyes were dark eye circles, and they were even more stark upon his ashen face. Hearing people coming in, he did not express any panic or uneasiness, but quietly looked up and glanced at Man Yue and Wu Xingzi, seeming to be a little puzzled.