CHR12/CH3 - The Plague Comes to Wales Part Two

After much soul searching, and discussion with Auriel, Edmund and Gwyneth, Guy believed an answer had been found. He would involve his children in the plan he thought, it would be good for them to know that charity should never be withheld, no matter the circumstance.

" I am decided," he said," for I am unable to bear the desperation and want that surrounds us. A sign should be made and hung on our gate, telling those in need that sustenance will be freely given, providing that sufficient distance between us is maintained."

Then he thought a while before smiling as the answer came to him.

" It will need a bell," he said, " and there is one such in the attic, though I confess I know nothing of it's exact placement. We have children with naught to fill their days, I shall send them to search for it when they wake, and they can put together the words of instruction to those who may come."

The sense of purpose which came over the Gisborne family was very apparent, as they each carried out their part. An additional loaf was baked each day, and one third of all food prepared was put aside each day until after supper.

If no one came, it was duly eaten, as Auriel could not bear waste of any kind. This additional meal was gladly accepted by Guy and his eldest son who shared the same voracious appetite, and all at the house slept with a clear conscience, knowing that the bounty for those in need would be quickly replenished on the morrow.

The eldest children had spent several hours in the attic as they searched out the bell, and they emerged triumphant, though a little dusty, holding the prize aloft.

Each of them claimed credit for its discovery, but all were rewarded when Aunt Gwyneth prepared the blackberry pie for which she was famed throughout the district.

"Much ado about nothing" was the phrase best used to describe the efforts of the elder Gisborne children, as to the signage required for the farm gate.

To say that a sense of purpose had come over them would not be inaccurate, though their method left much to be desired.

Neatness was certainly not their watchword, as they cast the materials required all through the house. First, one would decide on the design, then the colour would not suit another, and any sort of accord was a far distant memory.

Various styles were attempted for the script, but as none could write more than passably well, the result was somewhat muddled and scrawling.

Auriel attempted some small intervention, but she was rebuffed, and sent away to "bake some pudding or some such thing" by Gheraint, whose appetite was always to the fore.

An apple pudding was baked, but still the signage remained unfinished. Gwyneth made suggestions as to the colour, hoping to intervene before every wall in the house became splattered, but she too was disregarded in her efforts to help.

On the afternoon of the second day, Ghislaine declared their artistic attempts were complete, and proudly held up the results, her eyes bright, in anticipation of the compliments she was sure would come.

Her expectations went unrealised however, as Abigail stifled a laugh, merely out of politeness, and Beatrice soon followed, but with far less discretion, as the sorry effort was held up for all to see.

A multitude of colours adorned the board, some pertaining to be a floral bouquet, but little recognition showed on the faces of the beholders.

The words for which their Papa had asked were nowhere to be seen, and those letters that were distinguishable, spoke loudly of others that were entirely absent.

Not wishing to decry the artistic talents of his offspring, Guy coughed to hide his amusement, and declared the final result to be more than adequate.

He had decided already that a substitute could be produced in the hours after his children were abed, and as they would be actively discouraged from going to the farm gate, his small deceit would likely go unnoticed.