CHR10/CH4 - The Rescue Part 2

The five occupants of the cottage passed their days quite differently. Tilly saw to the management of the household, and Guy took efficient care of the garden plots and beasts.

The Lady Margaret and her sons bloomed in the contentment of a full belly, a warm bed, and company that was conducive to fondness.

All the while as he worked Guy thought on Tilly's plan for the rescue of his brother, and though respectful of the kindly witch, he felt that her plan was ill thought out at best, and at worst, ruinous. He had no knowledge of the Laundress, or where her loyalties might lie.

He reasoned that if she was willing to smuggle him into the castle, and be paid for such, that she may be susceptible to the receipt of additional coin for his betrayal. No, at risk of giving offence, any plan he undertook would need to be of his own invention, and that may take time.

Entrance via the moat and underground stream was yet a viable option, and if successful, he could seek egress by the same route. The use of a boat also meant that if Kay should be incapacitated by his long imprisonment, then he would be easier to transport upon the river.

It would necessitate the purchase of a cart to carry him onwards to Larkrise, in his probable weakened state, but there was gold enough, and to spare.

There was an atmosphere of harmony in the cottage, and Guy passed many an hour with his two namesakes. The notion of an uncle who so resembled their Papa, sat well with them. He in turn felt joy in their company, which helped ease the longing he felt for his own children.

The Lady Margaret was always eager to help with household tasks, and proved to be a fair cook, producing a batch of cheese scones, which proved so great a temptation to Guy, that four were devoured whilst still hot from the oven, and as a result, he suffered a sore mouth for a number of days.

Testament to his greed, which of course he called "appreciation."

No sympathy was forthcoming from either lady residing at the cottage, Lady Margaret remarking with a smile that his injury was self inflicted.

The biggest obstacle to be overcome was the question of magic, which could not yet be revealed, although Tilly would cast the occasional spell when she thought herself unobserved.

She particularly favoured the snapping of fingers to induce the fire when she rose at dawn each day, but was almost caught out by Crispin Guy who had risen early one morning, claiming to be "starving".

His mother had issued a suitable rebuke upon rising, when she heard of the word used, but the moment was soon forgotten, in the flurry of breakfast preparations.

Guy basked in the attention provided for his comforts, though neither Tilly or Lady Margaret offered to help remove his boots at the end of his work day, a task always willingly fulfilled by his lady wife.

The planning of the rescue was simple, but a thought in the head rarely comes to fruition without some effort, as Guy was to discover over the coming days. Timing was all, but those who guarded the Castle appeared to have little sense of punctuality.

Watches began and ended on a whim it seemed, and those party to the changeover of guards were especially lax.

There was a distinct lack of discipline Guy thought, as he passed yet another night without sleep, espying out the land. The partaking of ale was much in evidence amongst those in defence of the Sheriff's battlements, which, whilst it might work in his favour in some respects, might well prove to be his undoing.

He voiced his concerns to Lady Margaret and Tilly whilst he broke his fast, but knew that the day was rapidly approaching when sure and steadfast action would be required.