CHR11/CH1 - A Parting, and an Old Enemy 'Vanquished'

The journey east from Larkrise to the coastal port of King's Lynn, was uneventful though wearisome. The party consisted of Guy of Gisborne, his brother Kay, his wife the Lady Margaret, and their two sons Richard Guy, and Crispin Guy, the boys being named for their Uncle.

They had bade a tearful goodbye to the kindly witch who had offered them sanctuary in their hour of need, though they knew nothing of her magic, or that of the uncle they now adored. Guy would return to Larkrise when the ship carrying his brother and his family had sailed southward to France.

No passage aboard ship had been booked as yet, but there was more than sufficient gold with which to pay for it. In fact the gold left in the charge of Tilly Weaver by the Wizard Paladin would be more than enough to enable the fleeing Gisborne family to start their new life, far from the reach of the despot Vaisey, and those who saw fit to offer him fealty.

In the long weeks of Sir Kay's recovery, the Lady Margaret had sent word to her family in advance of their coming, and had been assured of a welcome, along with her husband and sons. To learn the ways of a vintner would take time, but if it meant he could support his family, Sir Kay was more than willing to give it his best efforts.

He would of course, concede his lands and titles upon landing on the shores of France, but it was a price he was more than willing to pay, if it meant safety for those he loved. He was also fully aware that if it were not for his brother's courage, his rotting carcass would by now have been tossed into a pauper's grave within the walls of Nottingham Castle.

Though Guy had estimated that the journey from Larkrise would take no more than five days, it being just over seventy miles, he could not have foreseen that his brother, despite his good recovery, would so frequently feel the need for respite.

This did not concern him overmuch, because he surmised that once clear of Nottingham and its close environs, they were less likely to be pursued.

In all, seven days had passed by the time they entered the port, seeking shelter and stabling for the night. They put up at an Inn, found a farrier willing to purchase the mounts that would no longer be required, left Guy's horse in his charge, and enjoyed a good supper before retiring.

The following day, Guy rose early, having asked the times of high tide from their jovial host, and passage to France was swiftly booked, the generous payment offered being sufficient to ensure the discretion of the Captain, if not the motley crew.

In his absence Lady Margaret found the time to purchase more suitable clothing for herself, her husband and their sons, to replace the ill fitting and homespun garments that Tilly had been able to procure, and by the time of departure, their appearance had been transformed.

The services of a barber had also been procured, and the two boys saw fit to fidget throughout the process of hair cutting, even though they were scolded for it. After their enforced inactivity within the confines of Tilly's cottage, they had become a little wild and uncontrollable, despite their mama's best efforts.

For Guy, to see his nephews smile was reward enough, though he was saddened by the imminent departure of his Gisborne family. He wondered if he would see them again, but held out little hope of it. They had their life in this time, and his was far in the past.

Sadly, Tilly Weaver would be their only point of contact, so any form of communication was deemed unwise, and might very well endanger the life of the woman who had become such a dear and trusted friend.

As the hour of sailing approached, Guy stood with Kay on the quayside, neither of them able to find the words to form the farewell that may very well be their last.

"I have naught to offer but my everlasting gratitude," said Kay, "what you have restored to me is above price. I have my life, my family, and the means to support them whilst I establish myself. For my sake you left those that are most precious to you, and risked all to save me. It is beyond my comprehension that you would do this"