CHR10/CH5 - The Homecoming, and Choices Made

When they came to the meeting place, Guy lifted Kay from his place in the well of the boat, and carried him, still wrapped in the blankets, to the cart where Tilly was waiting.

As he came upon her, sitting quiet and still on the cart, he felt a brief chill in his heart, he had not been stealthy in his approach, indeed his footsteps had been heavy, given the load that he carried in his arms.

" Can it be that we are discovered, and she has died in my defence?" he asked himself softly. But to his great relief, she woke at the sound of his voice.

" It is done then, " she said, " is he living?"

" Barely," answered Guy, " but I must leave him in your care a while longer whilst I honour my agreement with those whose services were given."

" Do you think them worthy of your trust?" she asked.

"I have assured it," said Guy, " one part of the payment this night, and every seventh night thereafter, until they are in receipt of all. Whilst they are still owed, they will not betray me."

" They know nothing of you, or your part in what we have done, nor do they know my name or that of the man they helped save. If they know nothing, they can reveal nothing."

Guy walked back to the river by a more circuitous route than that which he had taken earlier, and found the anonymous boatmen fast asleep at their oars. One woke to the soft bite of steel at his throat, but did not struggle, as the other slept on.

Guy pressed a gold coin into his hand, and sheathed his sword.

" In seven days then, " he said, " look to that hollow ash, and there you will find coin, this will continue until my debt to you is fully paid. Betray me, and you will feel my blade again, no matter where you hide."

"Be assured, I will find you, if it takes my final breath. Do we understand each other?"

The man nodded fearfully, and turned as if to regain the small boat by which he made his poor livelihood. He heard the strange words, but they held no meaning for him, there was the sound as of a rushing wind and he slid slowly to the ground.

He felt himself lifted, and knew he was on the water, but then such sweet dreams came to him, that he cared not from whence he had come, or where he should go. There was the chinking of coins as they fell into his lap, and then he knew nothing.

The use of the spell of forgetfulness had come to Guy as he returned to the river. There would be no one to see his use of magic, and the men would be fairly paid. They would simply wake, and find the coin, not knowing the reason for the payment, but grateful for it.

If questioned they would have no knowledge of where they had been, or any nefarious acts carried out.

They were of an honest family, and their words would not be questioned, though they were known for their love of wine, women, and song. It was also said that they also had a fair hand with cards, so the sudden riches could be easily explained away as good fortune at the gaming tables.

" A good night's work," thought Guy, as he made his way again to the cart, and they continued their journey homeward, where love was waiting, and a sweet reunion. He never spoke of what he had done, thinking that perhaps Tilly would question his actions.

In his opinion, it was simply a case of " least said, soonest mended".

The joy on the face of Lady Margaret when she saw her beloved Kay after their long separation was short lived, cut short by the sight of his emaciated body and the open sores which appeared to cover every part of him not covered by his filthy rags.