CHR5/CH6-Persephone and Auriel's Departure

When Guy awoke the following morning, he was alone in the bed. There was yet an hour or so of sleep to be had, by the darkness, and thinking his wife to be with a fretful child, he turned over and plumped his pillows, before closing his eyes as sleep overcame him once more.

At the cock crowed he rose, washed at the bowl on the dresser, and dressed himself, believing her to be up and about in the kitchen. He went to the chest beneath the window for a clean shirt, and stood there as he dropped it over his head.

Then he saw her, she was in her leather breeches, with a short summer shift stuffed loosely inside. She held a rope in her two hands, and was looping it over her head as she jumped to clear it. She was swift and accurate, though he believed she would either trip, or tire of whatever she was attempting. But she did not.

A full five minutes later, she was still at the task, though she was sweating profusely, and extremely red of face.

He ran quickly down the stairs, and out into the yard, stopping only to fill a wooden cup from the covered water jug always in place on the table. She stopped when she saw him, taking the cup from his hand with some gratitude, before downing the contents without stopping for breath.

"What are you about sweet girl?" he asked, " I have slumbered on believing you to be with one of our children, then I thought you to be in the kitchen. What has possessed you to take so little rest, it was an hour before dawn when first I missed you."

"'Tis that damned Persephone!" she said, "she finds fault endlessly with my efforts, and it is my aim to best her, even if I die in the attempt! Last evening before supper, after hours of running, swimming and the like, she told me I was gasping like a landed salmon!"

"You are very determined wife," said Guy, struggling not to laugh, as he smiled at her perspiring face and sweat streaked hair, which had curled tightly with the moisture.

He loved her hair, as indeed he loved every part of her, and he knew that she had been stricken when it been cut from her, when her wounds had needed to be sewn together after the attack which had nearly taken her life.

" I have vowed that it shall be today," she panted, " I can bear no more of her chiding and damned superiority."

"But surely my breakfast...... said Guy, "a man must work, and needs to be fed."

"Damn your breakfast!" she said, "I have no time for such things, you can surely butter your own bread, and put eggs in the pan. Whilst you are about it, wake the children, they will also be hungry, and the little ones will need to be dressed, go on with you, and leave me to my misery!"

Of course, this did not sit well with Guy, who was ay a man who believed a woman's place was to care for her family, though he had never dared to give voice to such contentious thoughts in front of his much adored wife.

He shrugged his shoulders and turned away from her, but he looked so despondent that she relented and called out some deeply affectionate words after him.

" You are the world to me," she said, " and I love you beyond words, but at this moment there are other calls on my time, forgive me, please."

He turned and replied, "always my sweet girl, always. The washing, dressing, and feeding of our smallest offspring shall be my first task of the day. Doubtless your Aunt will be up and about, and we shall see to things ably between us I'm sure."

" Then we shall await your delightful presence," he added, " but perhaps you might first avail yourself of the bathhouse, for though ay a great beauty, you are somewhat ripe!"

He heard the sound of the rope whistling through the air as he reached the kitchen, and stepped smartly inside just as it struck the door. Opening the door a moment later, he found her standing just outside, a mischievous smile on her lips, which she hastened to press hard against his.