CHR8/CH2 - Thorin's Indecision, and Acceptance

Thorin meanwhile had yet to make up his mind on his own 'Gifting'. He had slept little since the offer had been made, and he knew that with magical powers his life could be enhanced beyond measure.

His kingdom was still frequently threatened by goblins and the like, seeking to gain all by doing naught, but beyond that, he could see no advantage.

Once accepted, he knew the 'gift' could not be returned, and may even cause unrest among his own people, when they saw what he had, and could not have themselves.

He was content with his life, and in a short time he would be able to take another wife, having lawfully cast off the other, though perhaps ' cast off' was a mite harsh.

There would be a mother for his son, and perhaps the joy of more. In the dwarven world, a man with many sons held the respect of those who did not. But there was equal delight to be found in daughters, for daughters who favoured their mothers could also make a man proud.

When asked by Edmund if his 'gift' was to be willingly received, Thorin shook his head.

" I am not yet ready," he said, "this matter requires more thought. If I accept my life will change, and I will not be as other dwarves are. It will set me above them, and there will be resentment and unrest in a Kingdom where I have kept the peace for so long."

"Save for the occasional Goblin foray onto my lands, we have lived in harmony these many years. I may gain magic, and through it I may lose all I have known."

He looked to Guy for support, and Guy nodded his head in agreement.

"It is not a decision to be taken lightly my friend," he said, " for myself I can only say that the acquisition of magic has done me nothing but good, indeed it has saved my life, and that of my sweet girl on more than one occasion."

"The power of enchantment can be a goodly sword when placed in the right hands."

"We live here in safety and without fear, knowing that if called upon, our family is more than able to defend itself, no matter what comes. There is great comfort in that."

"If ever they should be threatened, I hold the lives of my wife and children in these farmers hands, and I would not hesitate to use my 'gift' if it meant they would survive. What of your son should an enemy come upon you unarmed, a man cannot survive by his wits alone."

"You have a mind to remarry if you should be fortunate enough to find lasting love. Would you not fight for her with every weapon you have?"

"Two days," said Thorin, " I shall have an answer for you in two days, now pass the damned wine, a dwarf might die of thirst in this inhospitable house!"

When the women folk retired for the night, Guy and Thorin had taken to sharing another drink or two of ale or wine, dependant on what was served with supper, and this night was the same.

Both both men sat staring into the parlour fire as Thorin lit his pipe.

" By all that is sacred I need a wife!" he said," I have kept to my lonely bed long enough. Upon my return, by my life I shall seek one such out! The marriage, will, of course, be a mite delayed, because of my present 'encumbrance'."

" But perhaps I will find myself a young widow, one who sorely misses the delights of the marriage bed. Betrothed is surely as good as wed."

Guy smiled, the concept of seeking out a woman to warm his bed quite alien to his way of thinking. He knew he was fortunate in his choice of bride, if indeed it had been his choice, because Auriel had done the asking, though he had been glad of it.