Ch 625: To Do With Him

Start from the beginning

Lin Ye hummed while trying to come up with a good opinion of her writing. After a while, Lin Ye nodded at himself and glanced back at her, making Nian flip in nervousness.

"You did a good job in making the characters. The protagonist, the male lead, was interesting to read about. However, he seemed to be perfect on the surface. However, when you go more into his character, he's flawed. The female lead is also not some generic damsel in distress. She can do things that ML cannot. You even made the antagonist not fully evil," Lin Ye nodded as he smiled at her, "You followed my advice. Good job, Nian." He said before patting her head

Hearing this, Nian's face lit up and giggled at his praise.

"Thanks Gege!" She smiled at him, "So is my draft good?"

Lin Ye hummed at this.

Nian's mood dropped when she heard him. But she pushed that feeling away and wanted to know what he meant.

"Is something wrong with it? Anything I can improve?" Nian asked, interested in knowing more about his opinion.

Lin Ye thought about what she said, before nodding.

"Your story about how the ML lead turned into the hero is a bit... all over the place," Lin Ye admitted, "Although I know you wanted to make it work, you still need to have a structure to tell a good story. Or at least a story that makes sense."The characters are good, they're also exciting and relatable" Then he chuckled, "The story? It leaves much to be desired."

Nian thought hard about what he told her. Then her eyes landed on him again.

"Do you know how to do that, Gege?" She asked curiously.

Lin Ye hummed and thought about something. After debating with himself for a bit, Lin Ye smiled at her.

"Have you heard of the Hero's Journey?" Lin Ye asked.

Nian raised a brow at this,

"Hero's Journey?" She racked her mind to find anything about it but nothing appeared. She looked back at him and shook her head, "No, Gege. What is that?"

Ansel also was interested in this as he leaned slightly closer to them.

Lin Ye nodded and got ready to explain.

"The hero's journey is a common narrative archetype, or story template, that involves a hero who goes on an adventure, learns a lesson, wins a victory with that newfound knowledge, and then returns home, different than before," Lin Ye then held out three fingers at Nian, "The hero's journey can be boiled down to three essential stages."

Nian's interest was growing when listening to Lin Ye, as she pulled out a pen and wrote it all down on her notepad. The last part of Lin Ye's explanation caught her attention.

"Three stages?" Her eyes twinkled as her pen was still on her notepad, "What are they?"

Lin Ye chuckled at how excited she was now. He then pointed at one of his fingers.

"The first is the departure. In brief, the hero is living in the so-called "ordinary world" when he receives a call to an adventure. Usually, the hero is unsure of following this call—known as the "refusal of the call" or "Rejection of one's calling"—but is then helped by a mentor figure, Family member, Friend, etc, who gives him a wise speech or counsel, and convinces him to follow the call," Lin Ye pointed to his next finger,

"Second, the initiation. In the initiation section, the hero enters the "special world," where he must begin facing a series of tasks until he reaches the climax of the story—the main obstacle or enemy. Here, the hero must put into practice everything he has learned on his journey to overcome the obstacle. Campbell talks about the hero attaining some kind of prize for his troubles—this can be a physical token or "elixir", or just good, old-fashioned wisdom or both if you want to."