Ch 573: Helpful To Him

As promised, Zhan Lu, the legendary sword of the first emperor of Yan, was being displayed at the library. It was in front of the building, near the statue of the first emperor. To Lin Ye's surprise, few people were there to look at it. When he asked the people taking care of the sword, their only answer for them was that few people were interested in it.

At first, Lin Ye did not understand why this was the case. However, that all changed when he laid eyes on the sword for himself.

"So... That's the legendary blade, Zhan Lu?" Grani looked up at the ancient bronze sword in the display cabinet and said, "... It looks so old. It might be even older than what Victoria had in our museums."

True to her words, the swords had seen better days.

The scabbard had rust all over it. Its handle looked like it was about to fall off any time soon, and half of the guard was gone from sight. All in all, it was not the sword he imagined it to be.

He had seen a lot of divine artefacts in his new life by now. Pramanix's bell was one of them. Although he had a hunch, he knew who was the original owner of the said bell. The same went for Messiah. The closest thing to Zhan Lu was Chi Xiao, Ch'en's sword. However, comparing Chi Xiao to this lump of junk, the former was much more appealing to look at.

"Strange," Lin Ye hummed as he looked at the sword. Then he realised something, ".... This is a fake."

"A fake?" Grani exclaimed in shock. Then she remembered where she was.

Looking around, Grani sighed in relief when she noticed no one heard her. She inched closer to Lin Ye and whispered, "What do you mean?"

"This is just a hunch, but I think this sword is not the real Zhan Lu," He explained, "Think about it. Who in their right mind would place a sword as well-known as Zhan Lu in public with so little protection? I remember hearing that Zhan Lu was a sword that could choose the next ruler of Yan." He glanced at Grani, "Something with that kind of value is not something to play around with. So, the royals of Yan must have used this sword as a decoy of some sort for the public to see. They could get some money using this trick and keep the actual sword safe from harm. A win-win situation for them."

".... Woah," Grani's eyes sparkled hearing his theory, "You're so smart, Doctor!"

Lin Ye chuckled at her praise. Lin Ye's eyes landed on the rusted sword again, narrowing at it. He would not believe that this pile of rust was the reason he was almost killed.

Well, technically, Zhen got killed. He was the one who pulled and got murdered for it. Lin Ye was the one to replace him. However, it did not matter to him. Ye promised the prince that he would take care of Lily and he was willing to die to achieve that goal.

Other than that, the reason Lin Ye felt so sure that this was a fake sword was the hope he felt looking at it. In the back of his mind, someone was telling him that this sword in front of him was nothing more than rusted metal. Based on experience, Lin Ye would be a fool if he did not listen to the voice in his head.

As Lin Ye was looking at the sword, he heard a voice calling him.

"Oi! Hero!" He turned around to see it was FEater waving as she walked towards them, "Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be at the meeting of something? Don't you have an appointment with the second prince?"

Before Lin Ye could answer, Grani took the responsibility of answering for him instead, "We already did."

"Hoh?" FEater arched her brow as she folded her arms around her chest, "So why are you here? If you are trying to find the other doctor, she has already left without me."