Chapter 11

Daniel and I return to church again the Sunday after returning from New York. After church, we go in for my 32-week check-up with Dr. Mann, who has agreed to oversee my labor and delivery at home. We could have gotten a midwife, but I have already placed all my trust in Dr. Mann. Daniel and I also met with a hilariously calm doula. She has the attitude of a 1980's hippie woman seen in movies. She makes me smile, and I like her vibe very much.

Now, we are making our way back to Daniel's parents for dinner. Dinner with his family has become regular for us in the past weeks, and I enjoy it.

I have to control my eyes from rolling into the back of my head when I see Ava sitting at the dinner table next to David. She and David are not at every dinner with us, but when she is, there's always tension. All I wanted was to have a quiet dinner with some friendly people. I am not in the mood for Ava's attitude, and I don't want to play the nice-nasty game for the whole dinner. However, to my surprise, she smiles and greets Daniel and me, along with the rest of the family.

I squint my eyes lightly, trying to figure out what's wrong with her.

Even more surprising is Ava didn't have a single disrespectful word to say during dinner. She laughed and interacted with everyone. She was pleasant. Then at the end of dinner, she even offered to help Marely clear the dishes after dinner.

Major attitude adjustment alert!

Someone has gotten to her about how she should interact with others. Maybe it was David or someone more significant. Whatever the case, people are allowed to change, so I will not question it for the moment. I'll take this new Ava as a blessing.

Marely and Ava sit with me in the family room after we have taken the dishes into the kitchen for the housekeeper to wash. Daniel is left watching football with his brother and father in the other room. Daisy flew to her room right after dinner was over.

"You know, Gwendolyn," Marely starts, "before the accident with Lizzie, she came to me and suggested we throw some sort of baby shower here for you. A gender reveal is what she called it."

"Yea, um, she wanted to throw a party for the family for us to find out the gender of the baby together. I don't want to do it without her now that she's in the hospital since it was her idea."

"Well, I'm sure she would still want you to go on with it. She told me that she and your friend Eva had spoken of so many wonderful plans for the party."

I frown gently in light of this new information. Eva never told me she was planning the gender reveal with Lizzie. Probably because she didn't want to make me sad. If I were her, I wouldn't have brought it up either.

Marely may be right about this. My baby bug will be here soon, and there won't be a need for a gender reveal. I can let all my sister's plans and hard work go to waste. This is what she wanted to do, so I will do it for her. This is my first baby, and it deserves to be celebrated, even if the surrounding circumstances are a bit depressing.

Besides, I wouldn't mind being the center of attention for a day.

"No, you're right. I am gonna do it."

"I can help," Ava pipes excitedly.

Marely and I look at her silently in surprise. Ava is offering to help again? What has gotten into her?

"I planned my sister's baby shower, and it was a hit. Everyone had so much fun."

Ava notices the look on our faces and deflates a bit.

"I mean, if you want my help. I understand if you don't." she sounds less enthusiastic.

I sigh and shake my head to myself. I did say I would give her a chance. My mouth slowly forms an awkwardly polite smile.