8 Demon at the Table

Cerin:

"Come on Luke! You are taking forever." I yell at Luke who's slowly putting on his shoes. I run and jump onto the hotel bed nearly causing him to fall off. "We're going to be late!"

Luke sighs, "We've got plenty of time. Besides, Aunt Ray isn't even ready." A moment later there's a knock at the door. I slip my ball cap on and I run to open it. Rich is standing there, dressed and ready to go.

"Good afternoon. Are you two almost ready?" Rich looks over me at Luke who's still sitting on the edge of the bed. "Or do you need a little more time?" he says suggestively. Luke turns a bright red and responds with a quick, "Oh, shut up!" Luke is embarrassed and I don't know why.

"We're ready, is Auntie?" I ask.

"Yep, well almost. I'll drag her out if you guys want to go on to the car." Rich say. Luke finally gets moving and we go downstairs to Rich's car.

The ride ends as soon as it begins. Luke and I sit in the back while Rich drives and Ray complains about his driving. I notice how uneasy Luke looks but I'm not quite sure how to comfort him. Does his family really make him that uncomfortable? Maybe it's me.

The house is quite cute when we arrive. It's old and the vines on the side are overgrown but it doesn't looks bad. "Is this where you grew up?"

"Uh, yeah, for the most part. My parents moved here when I was one." Luke shifts on his feet as we stand at the door waiting to be let in. I notice Luke's brother, Jack's, car out front. There are just a few other cars parked in the driveway and on the road. There can't be too many people here.

The door opens and an older, blonde, slender woman opens the door. She lets out a yelp and throws her arms around Luke's neck. He winces but hugs her back.

"I've missed you so much!" the woman says to Luke.

"It hasn't been that long mom." Luke mumbles. "This is-"

"Cerin!" the woman interrupts.

"How'd you know?"

"Your brother and Lina were just telling me about him. Oh he's just adorable!" Luke's mother says pinching my cheek. I can tell she and Ray are related.

"Thank you miss." I try to say.

"This is my mother, Rachelle." Luke says and then mouths the word 'sorry.'

"It's nice to meet you ma'am." I say to her trying to leave a good first impression.

"Awe, he has manors too! You must not be from that god awful city!" she says. "Luke's last little friend was a bitch!"

"Mom!" Luke whined.

"It's the truth! Anyway, come on inside and make yourself at home. Your grandmother really wants to see you Luke."

"I'm sure she does." Luke sighs.

I follow behind Luke into the unfamiliar territory. The smell of chicken and cookies fills my nose. The inside of the house is nothing special, if anything it is tacky. However, there is this warm feeling that covers me.

Several of Luke's family members are sitting in the living room, all talking together. Jack get's up and bear hugs Luke. They really are complete opposites in both their looks and personalities.

An old woman sits hunched over in a wheel chair. She motions for Luke excitedly and he leans down to hug her. "Hello Grandma." he says softly.

"Who's that?" she asks pointing up at me.

"This is Cerin." he says.

"Such a pretty girl. Where'd you find that?" she asks.

"I'm actually a-" I can't finish correcting her before Luke bends down to whisper something in my ear.