Chapter Eight

The hours ticked by slow. So slow that time felt warped. Each minute made Maya spiral deeper into the impending panic that's been taking over her body for what seems like days at this point.

A surgery that was only supposed to be eight hours had Maya constantly asking for updates from anyone who could supply it.

Each one was the same.

Stable.

That's not enough for Maya. She needs to visibly see Carina. To hold her hand. To hear her say just one word. She needs some sort of proof to believe the updates.

But still, she asks for them anyway.

There was a soft knock on her opened door, but she didn't train her view to the noise. It's useless. She knows it's going to be the same nurses and doctors that have been coming in nonstop.

"Hey," says the person at the door, throwing Maya off guard, not recognizing the voice. That's enough to get her to glance up, seeing that it's Andy with a solemn look on her face.

Maya offers a weak smile, not trusting her voice to speak without falling apart. She can't do the tears anymore anyway. Maya's emotionally spent.

Andy gingerly walks further into the room, taking a seat on the chair next to her bed. Maya looks away, not enjoying her friends face full of pity.

"Are you okay?" Andy questions carefully, already knowing the answer. The physical and mental exhaustion written all over her friend's face.

Maya just shrugs, anxiously playing with her fingers. Only then does she actually notice that she doesn't have her wedding ring, causing her to frown.

"Do you know where they put my ring?" Maya asks, whispering so she avoids another breakdown. She momentarily lets her guard down, looking over at Andy for an answer.

"They gave all of your personal items to Vic because she was here with you on the day of the accident. I could get it from her, if you want," Andy offers.

"Thanks, but don't bother," Maya replies, knowing she will have to take it off for her surgery anyway. Plus she doesn't want to lose it. "Make sure she keeps it safe."

"It's in good hands," Andy says.

"Is that where my phone is too?" Maya asks, still assuming that it's being used as evidence.

"Yeah," Andy nods.

"Oh," Maya replies with a confused tone. "But I thought it was being used as evidence?"

"I think they got everything they need," she says, leading Maya to have another question. One she isn't sure if she really wants an answer to.

"Is he alive?" Maya questions in a serious tone.

"Who?" Andy asks, not understanding what her friend is asking her.

"The guy who hit us. Is he alive?" She reiterates, bracing herself for the answer.

She notices how Andy's face changes, just a little, and Maya can almost immediately know that shes going to say.

"He is," the brunette sighs, lowering her head. "I don't know the extent of his injuries, but because he had a truck, the front of the vehicle took most of the impact."

Maya sees red. She doesn't know what she was hoping for. She doesn't think of herself as a person who wishes death on people, but she was hoping for serious injuries, at the very least.

Her wife is having a surgery to save her life. She can't walk, hell, she can't really move either.

And this guy is barely injured.