- c h a p t e r - t w e n t y-e i g h t -

tw: depression + heavy mental health effects 

_____________________________________________________________________________

 Dumbledore stood, staring down at the unconscious young man in disgust, before he raised his wand, sending rope around his limp body.

The headmaster turned to Professor McGonagall, "Minerva, could I ask you to stand guard here while I take Harry and Gemma upstairs?"

"Of course..." Professor McGonagall looked ill as she nodded.

Despite looking frail, she pulled out her wand, her hand steadily aimed at Barty Jr.

"Severus," Dumbledore looked at the Potions professor. "Please tell Madam Pomfrey to come down here; we need to get Alastor Moody into the hospital wing. Then go down into the grounds, find Cornelius Fudge, and bring him up to this office. He will undoubtedly want to question Crouch himself. Tell him I will be in the hospital wing in half an hour's time if he needs me."

Professor Snape glanced at Gemma and Harry before nodding silently and moving out of the room.

"Harry? Gemma?" Dumbledore called them gently.

Gemma's mind had cleared, but now her entire body was numb, reality filtering back in.

Harry suddenly leaned into her, favouring his leg, and she let him lean on her, noticing for the first time that he was injured.

The two moved into the dark corridor, Dumbledore leading them away as he whispered, "I want you to come to my office first. Sirius is waiting for us there."

Harry glanced at Gemma to see how she would react to the name of his godfather.

But her face was emotionless, completely void of expressions.

Her voice was quiet as she whispered, "Professor, where are Mr. and Mrs. Diggory?"

"They are with Professor Sprout," Dumbledore replied honestly, his voice shaking. "She was Head of Cedric's house and knew him best...other than...It doesn't matter."

Gemma didn't respond.

She knew what he was going to say.

Other than her.

She and Cedric really had become more like partner-in-crimes in the last year.

A lot like her and Harry.

Brother and sister.

They shared basically everything with one another.

And now...

Now he was gone.

Gemma didn't speak the rest of the way up to the office of the headmaster.

And even when she and Harry were swept into Sirius's, she didn't speak.

Dumbledore explained everything to Sirius, who looked at the teenagers in horror, the two children now sitting in chairs next to one another, not really present.

Gemma was vaguely aware of Fawkes, the phoenix landing on Harry's leg and her brother talking to it as Scotch crawled into Gemma's lap, hugging her hand to his body, humming.

The vibrations barely registered in her until Dumbledore settled down in front of the two teenagers, "I need to know what happened after you touched the Portkey in the maze, Harry."

Gemma felt a touch of rage filling her towards the headmaster, but her mouth didn't move to express it.

"We can leave that till morning, can't we, Dumbledore?" Sirius's voice found her ears as he moved behind them, placing a hand on each of their shoulders. "Let him have a sleep. Let him rest." He squeezed Gemma's shoulder, "Both of them."