- c h a p t e r - t w e n t y-s e v e n -

He wasn't at the infirmary.

Or in any of the classrooms on the first floor.

Gemma was about to head to the tower when she heard voices from one of the halls.

From the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Professor Moody's office.

Gemma moved jerkily towards the classroom, her mind still not functioning correctly.

Just as her hand reached for the door, someone grabbed her gently but firmly by the arm and pulled her away.

"STOP!" She begged. "Harry! He's in—"

"Miss Lupin! Calm yourself!" Professor Snape snapped at her, holding her by the shoulders as she thrashed.

She stilled, caught off guard by being called her real last name, and her eyes focused on him, Professor McGonagall, and Dumbledore, all of them were watching her with worry.

"He's got him," She said, her voice shaking. "He's got Harry."

The three adults looked at one another before Snape stood and told her harshly, "You stay behind us, and if we tell you to run, you run, understand?"

Gemma nodded numbly, her hand grabbing her wand from the pocket of her robes.

They entered the classroom.

Her eyes fell on the source of the faint noise.

It was a mirror.

She furrowed her brows, staring hard at it until Professor McGonagall caught on, and she cleared her throat slightly, catching the attention of the men.

They turned, and she nodded at the mirror.

"Foe-glass," Professor McGonagall murmured to Gemma.

She knew what it was, it was like a one-way mirror, a muggle mirror contraption.

The adults slowly closed in on the door to the side of the mirror. The closer they got, Gemma could hear Professor Moody's voice madly whispering, "The Dark Lord didn't manage to kill you. Potter, and he so wanted to. Imagine how he will reward me when he finds I have done it for him. I gave you to him - the thing he needed above all to regenerate - and then I killed you for him. I will be honoured beyond all other Death Eaters. I will be his dearest, his closest supporter...closer than a son..."

Gemma's face blanched, her body stiffening at the man's words.

Her wand twitched in her hands, desperately wanting to blast the mirror away and save her brother.

"The Dark Lord and I," Moody continued. "Have much in common. Both of us, for instance, had very disappointing fathers...very disappointing indeed. Both of us suffered the indignity, Harry, of being named after those fathers. And both of us had the pleasure...the very great pleasure...of killing our fathers to ensure the continued rise of the Dark Order!"

"You're mad!" Harry shot back at him. "You're mad!"

"Mad, am I? We'll see! We'll see who's mad now that the Dark Lord has returned, with me at his side! He is back, Harry Potter, you did not conquer him - and now - I conquer you!"

Gemma stared in shock as one of the adults shouted, "STUPEFY!" and the door to the office was splintered.

She moved in behind the adults, her eyes falling on Professor Moody, who was now on the floor, and Harry, who was staring at Dumbledore in awe and shock.