- c h a p t e r - t w e n t y -

Gemma was basically asleep when Ron and Harry declared their crazy finding about Hagrid.

Something that Gemma had literally figured out like a month after knowing him.

Hagrid was half-giant, and the boys were idiots.

But they were her idiots, so whatever.

Hermione (who now had streaks of purple in her curls again) and Ron did not talk about their spat and seemed to silently and mutually agree to not ever speak of it.

It was a little disconcerting, though, seeing them be so formally kind to one another.

Hermione didn't seem too shocked either, replying, "Well, I thought he must be. I knew he couldn't be pure giant because they're about twenty feet tall. But honestly, all this hysteria about giants. They can't all be horrible. . .It's the same sort of prejudice that people have toward werewolves. . . . It's just bigotry, isn't it?"

"I agree with that statement," Gemma said through a yawn. She barely whispered the last part, "As a daughter of a werewolf herself, that is."

Ron just rolled his eyes at the two of them.

And Gemma ignored him, her head dropping onto Harry's shoulder as she promptly dozed off again for the seventh time in like fifteen minutes.

She didn't have homework, having finished it versus the boys and most of the rest of Gryffindor Tower, who was now scrambling to finish it.

Especially Harry, who was now getting closer and closer to February twenty-fourth and still hadn't figured out the egg clue.

He had told Gemma about Cedric's tip about taking a bath, which had completely confused her, but she told him that maybe he should take the Hufflepuff's advice and...go take a bath?

It was weird to think about.

The teenager was just anxious for him to figure out whatever he was supposed to figure out, so she didn't have to think about him getting hurt for at least till the next task.

She walked beside Harry as they hurried to Care of Magical Creatures class, all bundled up in their robes, scarves, hats, and gloves, hoping the fire-farting skrewts would at least provide some warmth.

When they got to Hagrid's hut, though, they were not met by the half-giant but rather an older witch with short grey hair and a pointy chin.

A rather text-book-looking witch, in Gemma's opinion.

"Hurry up, now, the bell rang five minutes ago!" The woman snapped at them.

"Who're you?" Ron asked, his brows furrowing. "Where's Hagrid?"

"My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank," The woman ignored the boy. "I am your temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher."

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry asked again, louder this time.

"He is indisposed."

At the laughter that found Gemma's ears, she turned around, a bone-chilling glare on her face as she stared at Draco and the rest of the Slytherin class.

None of them looked surprised at the sight of the substitute professor, but when some of them noticed the seething look Gemma was giving them, some students actually choked on their own spit and avoided eye contact for the rest of the class.

The normally-auburn-haired girl spent the rest of class taking care of the Beauxbaton unicorns, much to her dismay.

It wasn't that she didn't like the creatures, she thought they were beautiful, but she saw the boys hovering around Harry. He was holding an open newspaper in his hands, his eyes wide with dismay.