- c h a p t e r - n i n e t e e n -

Apart from Ron's insistent questioning of Hermione's date, piles of homework, and Draco being a prig, Gemma was well-prepared for the holidays.

Hermione had just frightened Draco away for like the fifth time that week when Ron abruptly stopped laughing and said, "Hermione, your teeth..."

Gemma blinked at him, How in the bloody hell is he so—

"What about them?" Hermione asked innocently.

"Well, they're different. . . I've just noticed. . ."

"No, really?" Gemma muttered under her breath.

Hermione grinned at her before continuing, "Of course they are - did you expect me to keep those fangs Malfoy gave me?"

"No, I mean, they're different to how they were before he put that hex on you. . . . They're all... straight and-and normal-sized."

Gemma rolled her eyes, "Boys..."

Hermione was smiling mischievously now, linking arms with Gemma and explaining, "Well. . . when I went up to Madam Pomfrey to get them shrunk, she held up a mirror and told me to stop her when they were back to how they normally were. And I just. . . let her carry on a bit." She smiled at herself, almost like she was proud of her little trick. "Mum and Dad won't be too pleased. I've been trying to persuade them to let me shrink them for ages, but they wanted me to carry on with my braces. You know, they're dentists, they just don't think teeth and magic should—" She abruptly gasped and cried, "Look! Pigwidgeons back!"

After horrifying a couple of third-year girls and fetching the owl, Harry pocketed Sirius's letter, and they hurried back to the Common Room, sitting away from everyone for privacy.

Harry quietly read aloud the letter:

"Dear Harry,

Congratulations on getting past the Horntail. Whoever put your name in that goblet shouldn't be feeling too happy right now! I was going to suggest a Conjunctivitus Curse, as a dragon's eyes are its weakest point—"

"That's what Krum did!" Hermione whispered to them all, especially Gemma, who had disappeared halfway through until Harry's round in the task.

Harry, continuing to read, said, "—but your way was better, I'm impressed. Don't get complacent, though. Harry. You've only done one task; whoever put you in for the tournament's got plenty more opportunity if they're trying to hurt you. Keep your eyes open -particularly when the person we discussed is around and concentrate on keeping yourself out of trouble. Keep in touch, I still want to hear about anything unusual.

Sirius."

Harry sighed as he folded the parchment up, "He sounds exactly like Moody. 'Constant vigilance!' You'd think I walk around with my eyes shut, banging off the walls. ..."

Gemma snickered as Hermione said, "But he's right, Harry, you have still got two tasks to do. You really ought to have a look at that egg, you know, and start working out what it means..."

"Hermione, he's got ages!" Ron snapped at her again. "Want a game of chess, Harry?"

"Yeah, okay," Gemma gave her best friend a look, and Harry returned the look with a tired expression, "Come on, how'm I supposed to concentrate with all this noise going on? I won't even be able to hear the egg over this lot."