- c h a p t e r - e l e v e n -

Gemma was basically hiding in the back of the classroom.

   She wasn't normally one for hiding from class demonstrations. Still, when Professor Moody said that Dumbledore wanted everyone to know what the Imperious curse felt like, she had faded into a shadow.

   Hermione had even tried to convince the teacher to not go through with his lesson, reminding him about the obvious illegality of using the spell. Still, Moody had quickly retorted her response, embarrassing her a little bit all the while.

   Gemma pinched her lips at that, but she kept silent and in the back, watching.

   It was Harry's turn, and her stomach clenched as his eyes turned glassy, as his knees bent to get ready to jump onto a desk in front of him, but he stopped.

   His face twitched for a solid thirty seconds before, without warning, he jerked violently and slammed his head and knees on the desk, throwing the piece of furniture and himself onto the floor.

   She heard him groan in pain as Moody started to cheer on Harry's urge to fight the curse off, explaining to everyone else that they should do the same so the caster of the spell cannot control them.

   She gave him a hard look as she rushed to Harry's side, helping him sit up.

   He winced, quietly pointing to his knees, and she was about to open her mouth to ask if she could take Harry to the Hospital Wing when Moody said, "Hilton, you're up."

   Her body froze, and Harry's face morphed to one of concern as she stood, hands clenched to prevent them from shaking.

   She really did not have much luck with this class and the group activities.

   And now she was having an Unforgivable Curse being cast over her.

   The fourteen-year-old stared at the professor, her brown eyes silently pleading for him to write her off and let her get out of class without being cursed, but that was not going to happen.

   His flesh eye and magical eye zoned in on her, hesitating at the sight of her stone still face.

   With a breath, he said, "Imperio."

   Her mind went fuzzy, and she felt like she was flying, which immediately caused her to know that something was wrong.

   "Kiss Mr. Weasley."

   She actually flinched at Moody's voice in her seemingly empty mind.

   No.

   "Kiss Mr. Weasley!"

   Why should I?

   "You will kiss Mr. Weasley!"

   Gemma's body turned to face Ron, but she would not move from her spot any further.

   Pain rocked her body as Moody kept shouting in her mind to kiss her best friend, but she kept saying no.

   Finally, as sweat dripped down her back, Gemma turned to Professor Moody, her eyes glowing with a determined fire. Her body shook as she stepped up to him, her gaze never leaving his mangled face.

   "I will not kiss him," She said in a low growl.

   Immediately the control let up, and she almost stumbled, her head going light with the release.

   Professor Moody did something that surprised her.

   He smiled.

   Placing a hand on her shoulder, he turned her to the class and announced grandly, "That is how it is done, class."