Chapter 12

Several days later, you saw white sands on the horizon as the ship neared the archipelago that Barbossa described.

"It's too shallow to pull up much farther, Cap'an," Gibbs explained, handing you his spyglass.

You looked through and nodded, "we'll take longboats and go ashore."

Gibbs nodded and started ushering the crew to ready the boats. Elizabeth walked up to you, handing you your hat, "are you sure about this, there is a lot of open sea between us and that island?"

You nodded, "I came all this way, I won't turn back now."

She nodded, "I'll remain here with Mr. Gibbs and keep an eye on the ship, you go bring back Jack."

You smiled and turned away from her, climbing onto one of the longboats, Will at your side. "We'll be back before nightfall," you said, giving Elizabeth a final smile before the longboat descended and landed on top of the water.

—--------------------------------

You pulled up along the sands of the archipelago and hopped out of the boat. "Split up and search the island," you instructed the others, "look for signs of life and anything edible."

The others nodded and made their way around the island, there were palm trees not far from shore, but you were not sure how far back it went. You paused for a minute, soaking in the sun and the breeze coming off the water.

"Penny for your thoughts," Will whispered behind you.

You sighed, "I'm worried about him, Will, what if he is lost?"

"Then we keep looking for him," he responded, placing his fingertips on your waist, "we won't stop till he's found. But right now we have an island to search before dark."

You nodded, turning around to place a light kiss on Will's cheek, "you're right, let's get moving."

Will followed you as you made a beeline for the palm trees, looking for any sign that someone had been living here. For hours you searched with nothing to show for it. You found several coconuts to take back to the ship, but no sign of life except for empty rum bottles that looked to be hundreds of years old.

As the sun began to set, you made your way back to the longboat where the others were waiting. You tossed the coconuts to Tuck to put in the longboat and turned to look back at the trees sadly.

Will placed a hand on your shoulder, "I mean it, we will keep looking, but it is getting dark, we need to head back to the ship."

You sighed, wiping the tears from your face and turning around, "load the boats, we should head back."

The crew nodded and began loading into the longboat. You heaved a heavy sigh as you turned back towards the water, starting to lose hope that you would ever find your brother.

Just as you hung your head and took a few steps away from the palm trees you heard a familiar laugh, "well, well if it isn't my little sparrow, far away from her nest."