Chapter 2

You, Will and a few men were on a ship packed and ready just as the sun hit midday.  "We must set sail quickly, before your father finds out and tries to stop you," Will said as you loaded the last of the cargo onto the ship.  

You looked at him and then back in the direction of your house, "my father cares not for me," you stated walking to stand next to Will along the railing.  "He does not care if I stay or go, he does not even care if I live or die, he will only be mad he lost someone to take care of the house." 

Will placed a comforting arm around your shoulders, "I care," he said quietly.  He leaned in and his lips were inches from your own - 

"Ah-hem," one of the crewmen coughed behind you uncomfortably, "Where are we sailing to, Cap'n?" 

Will leaned away from you and turned to the man, "Tortuga." With a nod the man left and Will came back to stand next to you, but this time he kept a respectful distance.  

"What exactly is in Tortuga?" you asked Will as the ship slowly pulled out from port and made for open water.  From Jack's stories Tortuga was a famous port, famous for the presence of pirates.  

"A crew," Will answered, "I know it is a pirate port (Y/N)..." 

You cut him off, "I don't go by that name anymore," you snapped.  "That was the name my parents chose for me, I wish to forget them.  I will go by Sparrow now."  Sparrow was the name Jack had used for you.  He said that you reminded him of a birds freedom and he thought you resembled the adventurous spirit of a sparrow.  

Will smiled at you, knowing that you have wanted to escape your parents for a long time.  You smiled back at him grateful for his understanding.  "So this crew?" you continued snapping Will out of his daze.  "Are they pirates?" you asked. 

Will laughed, "you know you may like them," he said, "not all of them are trouble." 

"I did not say I wouldn't like them," you laughed back, "but does that officially make us pirates as well?" you asked stepping closer to Will. 

"You just need a hat," he laughed closing the distance between you. 

You reached up and took the hat from his head letting his shoulder length black hair whip in the breeze.  You placed the hat on your own head, "I already have one." Will laughed as he leaned in again and this time no one interrupted.  

You docked in Tortuga after about five days on the sea, the weather was pleasant.  You and Will walked hand in hand off the ship and into a large establishment right off the port.  "The crew is waiting for us inside," Will explained.  Upon entering this establishment chaos ensued and you would almost taste the overarching smell of liquor.  

"Mr. Gibbs," Will shouted to be heard over the noise of the pub.  A short, heavy set man appeared at his side.  You recognized him as one of the men you had left home with.  "Get the crew ready, I am taking Sparrow for a drink," he commanded.  

Mr. Gibbs left with a nod and Will guided you to two open seats at the bar.  "Is there anything specific you would like?" Will asked nicely as he gestured for the bartender to come over.  You had never drank before, Jack always said he would take you someday, but now seemed like as good a time as any.  

"Rum," you said to the bartender, who smiled at your request.  In all of Jack's pirate tales they drank rum.  The bartender returned with two large glasses of dark brown liquid.  You clinked glasses with Will and took a big swig.  The effect was instant and it burned down your throat warming your entire body.  You loved it.  

You had finished three more glasses before Will finally interrupted laughing.  "How about we slow down, love," he said taking your empty glass from your hands.  

You smiled innocently at him, clearly feeling the effects of the alcohol already.  "Sorry, it's just really good."  Will helped you out of the stool and placed a protective arm around you waist.  

"Good thing we have plenty on the ship," he laughed.  He flipped two silver coins to the bartender clearly amused by you.  "Keep the change," Will shouted above the noise.  He carefully led you back through the crowd of drunken pirates, who all paid special attention to you.  Although you had dressed in sailor clothing, you still clearly looked in better shape than most of the women here and many were starting to take notice.  But Will never removed his arm and most seemed to take that as a sign that you were unavailable and did not bother you.  

You made it outside the pub and breathed in the fresh air.  "Captain Turner!" Mr. Gibbs called as he came pushing through throngs of people loitering.  

"Gibbs I will not tell you again to call me Will," he responded turning you both around to face the man.  

"Sorry Will, your crew is on the dock awaiting your approval," Mr. Gibbs answered proudly.  

"I trust your judgement, tell them they are hired and to get the ship ready to make sail," Will nodded with a hint of authority.  "There is one more thing I must do, and then we will return and I wish to leave immediately."  

Mr. Gibbs smiled and nodded before taking off towards the docks.  Will then turned and guided you a corner by the animal stalls.  You were still a little buzzed to even question where you were going as Will pulled you along.  Will led you to a concealed door and stopped.  "This is the place Jack used when he wanted to lay low for a while, your dad showed me, some of his things are still in there..." Will trailed off clearly not sure where to go from there. 

You cut him off, "thank you." Will nodded and opened the door for you to step inside alone.  Inside you could make out a lot of maps, a few swords, a pistol, a long jacket and a hat with a feather sticking out.  As you got closer you realized the feather was from a sparrow.  

You ran your hands along the jacket before pulling it on over your simple white shirt, black pants and tall boots.  You studied the hat for a minute before placing it on top of your wavy red hair.  You made a mental note to also grab the sword and pistol before you left.  You ventured around the small room and noticed a vanity desk with a dirty mirror off in one corner.  

You looked into the mirror and noticed that the hat seemed to be made for you, the dark brown leather perfectly contrasting your hair.  You opened a drawer on the side of the desk and pulled out a stack of parchment.  They were all letters addressed to you, you carefully tucked them into your pocket to read later.  You were about to turn around and head out when something tucked into the side of the mirror caught your eye.  

It was picture of you and Jack dangling your feet in the water back home.  You looked so young and happy in the photo.  You took the picture in your hands and began to cry.  You collapsed on the ground, the photo bring back painful memories as well as happy ones.  

You remember Will at your side helping you up and guiding you to the ship and laying you down in his bed in the captains quarters.  Will lay next to you as you sobbed into his chest still clutching the photograph.  You had held back tears and memories for so long that now they all came to the surface and you could not control them.  

You assumed the ship left Tortuga for when you opened your eyes it was dawn and you felt the gentle rocking of the ship on the waves.  You noticed that Jack's sword and pistol were next to his jacket and hat that you took, Will must have grabbed them for you.  The rocking waves were very soothing as you tucked your head back into Will's chest and sleep took you again.