Chapter 11

Gibbs set a course for you east towards a known archipelago that was used for the rum runners. The rum runners sailed all over the world, if anyone would have heard of where Jack went, it would be them.

You sat below deck with Elizabeth as she recounted how she ended up with Barbossa. "I can't believe you still had the medallion," she said, "I figured you would have gotten rid of it."

You smiled, "besides knowing what it was, it was a token of your friendship, I did cherish our childhood together."

She nodded, "me too. (Y/N), I'm sorry I left, when I returned I went to your house, but your mother just said you ran away."

You looked on distantly, "of course she did."

Elizabeth looked at you in confusion, "am I missing something?"

You sighed, "after my father returned and told us Jack was dead, I decided to go looking for him on my own. Now I find out that my father reported us both for pirating in exchange for money, which he probably spent all at the tavern."

Elizabeth looked at you apologetically, "I'm sorry, I know you were never close, but that is just awful."

You nodded, wiping away a tear that you refused to let fall, "it doesn't matter, I am never going back there anyway."

"You wouldn't go home?" she asked.

"This is my home," you said, gesturing to the ship around you, "here I have a place and a purpose."

Elizabeth nodded in understanding, "I want to stay with you until you find Jack, I want to help you."

You nodded in thanks, "we should at least tell the Commodore that you are alright."

Elizabeth shook her head, "if they know I am with you, they will try to stop you, just take me back to Port Royal when this is over, and maybe stay for dinner."

You laughed with her for a few moments before nodding, "alright, as you wish."

—-------------------------------------

Elizabeth had fallen asleep below deck, so you quietly climbed the wooden stairs topside. Will was leaning over the railing on the main deck when you approached him.

"How is she?" he asked.

"Tired," you responded, "but she will be fine."

Will turned slightly, looking at you, "are you going to tell me why you carried a piece of Aztec gold with you all this time?"

You shook your head, "I don't know, I just had a feeling that I needed to keep it close." You sighed, "even as a kid, I felt I needed it with me. When I was younger I thought it was just because it felt like Elizabeth was with me too, but the feeling never went away."

"So why give it to Barbossa?" he asked.

You shrugged, "because I couldn't leave Elizabeth there and we were out of leads about Jack."

Will sighed and looked back out over the water, "how do we know Barbossa isn't lying?"

You leaned your head on his shoulder, "we don't, but it is still another place to look for my brother."

Will nodded, moving his hand to rub the small of your back lightly, "we will find him," he whispered, placing a gentle kiss on the side of your head.

You nodded, "I hope you're right."