𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

Then

Then

1996

Dear Diary,

Today we moved into our new home in Halton. The area is small, quaint and quiet, very quiet. There are a lot of elderly people here, a lot of people who seem to be used to the same routines in their everyday life. I already miss living in London but mum says this is good for us, to be away from the drama, to be away from dad.

    Our house isn't very big like our old one. I now have to share a bedroom with Delilah but it's okay, I'll be shipped off to boarding school by the time summer ends and then I'll have my own rooms in the dorms. The boarding school is a three hour drive from Halton and mum says I'll enjoy it since she went to the same school when she was my age. I think she's only saying that to make me feel better, who enjoys living at school?

    I'm nervous and excited and sad and happy and it's too much all at once so I just feel depressed. I feel like my life is a snow globe and someone has turned it upside down, small specks of glitter falling around me - it seems like a good thing but the reality is you have to clean it all up again and still deal with it weeks later, finding it in places you didn't think it would be.

    I miss my dog. I never got to say goodbye to him.

    Dad cried when we left. I've never seen him cry before. He told me it wasn't goodbye, it was a see you later but mum always says dad is a good liar. He wasn't that time though, maybe it was because he was crying and dad never cries.

Dear Diary,

Today I moved into my dorm at Southend Park School. Mum was annoyed because we had to wake up before seven o'clock to pack the car and drive me down. I don't know why she was annoyed, she's the one who's sending me here and Delilah will arrive here next year. To be honest, I think she's met someone, I don't know how she could move on from dad so quickly and it makes me wonder whether she truly loved him at all.

    I'm in a dorm with five other girls. I've spoken the most with a girl in the room next to me, Ellis. She's fourteen and the rest of us are thirteen but that's only because she was born on the 1st of September and today is the third.

    I'm scared to be by myself but it's nothing I'm not used to. Delilah always had a lot more friends than me, Dad was always at work and mum was out socialising.

    Mum cried when we finished unpacking, she told me she'd be back to pick me up when half term arrives and I can come home at any time. I don't want to go home though, I hate it there.