eleven

Monday! I wasn't excited to be back to school but I looked forward to meeting Emmaleigh and Chelsea again. I woke up early and enjoyed myself in the gigantic bathtub before getting ready for school. I had my hair down but pushed back with a bandanna. I had on one of my favorite color block sweater and a pencil skirt with sneakers. Mama had a slim figure but I got to be curvy. As a kid, I was on the chubby side but Mama helped me to embrace my looks. She let me stand in front of the mirror and praises my image.

"Look at that beautiful face Cardia. Look at that curly hair, is so beautiful. Look at that dark skin. The most perfect blend ever. Oh baby God took his time to make you so beautiful!"

Mama's pep talk every morning was something to look forward to. I walked into the home room but found it empty. "Everyone is in dance" someone said and I mumbled a thank you before bringing out my map to be able to find my way to the dance class. On my way I saw three girls standing in front of a locker facing a boy.

"I told you already Dy..." The boy was saying and one of the girls, the smallest one violently shoved the boy against the locker. "And we told you already, take. It. Down" she said and the boy held his hand up, signifying surrender. "We've printed it already. We had to, the girl was stunning and she was new" the boy said. I turned and ran for the class.

On getting to the door of  the class I fixed my glass one more time before entering the class. It was dance class and I hated dance class with passion. I inherited Mama's two left feet and was bound to make a fool of myself when it comes to dancing. I spotted Emma and Chelsea and walked up to them. Emma had her hair in a ponytail and Chelsea's pink hair was obviously uncombed.

Chelsea had a big smile on her face as soon as she saw me while Emma struggled with her shoes. "Hi Chels, Hi Em, what's going on with your shoe?"I asked her. "They're too small" she hissed. "She knows they are too small, this is her plan to get out of dance" Chelsea rolled her eyes, "will it work?" I asked with a giggle. "Miss Ruby will disappoint her by having extra pairs of shoes somewhere somehow" Chelsea replied with a snicker. "Did you miss us?" Emma hugged me and gave me air kisses.

"Yes I did" I said and removed my bag from my shoulder. "Soooo how'd it go with your Dad?" Emma asked and I took a deep breath to calm down my excitement. "I'm living with him now" I said and Emma and Chelsea held hands, jumping and squealing. "That's great! You get to meet your father" Emma pinched my cheek. "But what does that mean for us? We are still roomies right?" Chelsea asked and I bit my lips. "Oh no don't tell me you're moving out officially" Chelsea wailed dramatically. "I'm so sorry but I get to stay whenever I want" I said.

"But we want you to stay forever" Chelsea said like a baby. "Don't be selfish Chels. Let the girl enjoy her dad" Emma pat my shoulder while Chelsea gave me a pout. "whether we share the same room or not, we're forever roomies" I said and we all nodded. "This is where the secret handshake comes in" Chelsea said and Emma shook her head. " Don't go overboard" she said.

"Emmaleigh put on your shoes" the teacher said as she breezed into the room. "Too small" Emma faked a sad look. "Nice try missy, follow me right now. We have gorgeous shoes you can borrow. Chelsea, Liane, Brian three of you follow me the teacher said and Breezed out the same way she breezed in.

I felt so alone the instant Emma walked through the door. My anxiety kicks in and I started to struggle for breath. "Oh no" I mumbled to myself and walked out the dance class room. On my way out I bumped into the dance teacher. "Where do you think you're sneaking off too?" She asked and I tried responding but I was already hyperventilating. "You kids would rather learn tiktok than learn proper dancing. Go back in there" she said and pushed me into the class.

I stumbled into a soft body and both of us fell to the ground with me on her. It was Dylan Woods. She was beautiful up close. She had brown eyes and plump lips with freckles. She had a soft look about her, she was make up free yet still stunning. Who said brown hair and eyes were boring features?. "You have three seconds to get off me" she said and I quickly got off her. "I'm sorry" I mumbled and she came closer to me with blazing eyes. "Speak up" she hissed and I started to stutter, "I-I said I'm-" I said, trying to catch my breath. She looked really angry, "come on" a male voice said from behind me and took her away. I watched as Elijah took his sister away.

I stood up and dusted off my skirt. I went to stand by the wall, trying to control my breathing again. "I know some of you have already practiced over the holiday, I'm proud of you but I had sad news. I will be the one pairing you guys" the teacher said and the room was filled with groaning and grumbling. The teacher went around the class matching people. "Elijah and Cardia" she said and I froze.

"Well move!" The teacher shouted and each of us went to our appointed partners. I stood with Elijah and he looked down at me with a mean smirk on his face. "Dylan despises you" he said and I blinked with shock. "I didn't do anything wrong to her" I said and he chuckled. "Don't cross my sister. he said to shut me up.

After the dance I found Chelsea and she was in a foul mood. "I am going to fight for the freedom of every pink haired girl in this world" she said with an attitude and I shook my head. "You're in trouble with the witch aren't you?" Emma asked from behind us and her shoulder slumped.

"My dad is going to kill me" Chelsea whined, "let him kill you when we are done with Julie and the phantoms" Emma pat her back and Chelsea gave her a 'is this what comfort is supposed to look like' look. "Come on we have literature next" Emma said and the three of us went to find our way to the literature class.

After school I went home excited to see Alex again. I went to my room and changed into a baggy white shirt and baggy pants. I let my hair fall free and ran back the stairs and ran into Juanita in the kitchen. All my excitement suddenly vanished and I'm filled with uncertainty as I approached her. "Hi Juanita" I said shyly, she turned instantly with a smile on her face and she hugged me.

"Cardia! My darling, welcome home. I made brownies, come sit and eat" she said and pushed me into a seat and served me brownies. "Go on darling, eat!. Look at how tiny you look!" She said as she squished my cheek. I couldn't help but smile and bear it all. My baby face keeps making everyone think that I'm thirteen instead of sixteen.

"Juanita bring my suitcase" I heard a voice boom from behind me and I looked back to see Alex leaving the kitchen. "Alex!" I called and ran after him, he looked back to look at me with angry eyes. He looked terrifying. "If you make me more upset than I already am... I could hurt you" he said and I froze as my eyes dropped to the gun in his hand.

He turned to keep walking and I felt someone dragging me away. I turned to look at Juanita. "Poor dear. I'm sorry you had to see that. Whenever Alexander is having a bad day, do everything to stay out of his way" Juanita said and I kept my eyes on his retreating back. "Did someone hurt him?" I asked and Juanita sighed. "You never know what goes through that young man's head. I feel sorry for him" Juanita said and took my back to my seat.

"Don't worry darling. We will all be fine" she said and I nodded.

******"

Should Cardia quit yet?