ten

Alexander's POV

"I said run boy. Run
I'll gun you down if I get you
Pathetic boy

The words came from a faceless man in front of me. He wasn't tall but he radiated a kind of energy and fear. I was fixed on the spot by some sort of force. I knew I wad sleeping but waking up seemed so hard. Eventually I woke up after some struggles when I heard a loud bang, jolting me awake.

Without lights, my hands instantly found my gun and I jumped out of the bed. I cocked the gun and made my way to where the noise must have come from. I heard another bang and traced it to the kitchen with my gun still set to shoot the intruder.

Getting to the kitchen, I looked inside and saw my cook, Juanita and the child that came yesterday. I slowly put down the gun. I had already forgotten that I had a visitor. Not just any visitor but a stubborn and defiant little girl. I watched Juanita show her how to switch on the blender.

I frowned as I noticed how shy the girl acted. She looked like she was going to suddenly disappear. I turned back to go to my room and put on my shirt. I had ran out of the room shirtless. I took my time to shower and prepare for the day.  I had my hair in a man bun before I wore my navy blue suit and went out.

I went into the kitchen and found the girl at the table. I stood at the door and she didn't notice me. Her hair was down as she looked intensely at her place. She had glasses on and I wondered how she got bad eyesight. Everything about her tells me that she's my daughter but I don't want to fall victim of any trap. What put me at the top always is the ability to not trust anyone. Even if it's a full grown innocent looking girl that has your eyes, skin color and hair.

She used her fork to scrape syrup off her pancakes before licking it. I chuckled because that was exactly how I used to eat my pancakes when no one is watching. I walked over to the table, at the sound of my footsteps, she lifted her head and looked at me..

"Good morning Stormy" I said and sat down at my seat. "That's not my name" she frowned, I folded my arms to show that I didn't care. "I feel like you're a Storm" I said and she shook her head. "My name is Cardia" she said, it was my turn to frown. "How did your mother even come up with that horrible name" I said, taunting her.

My plan worked because her eyes instantly filled with tears. "I almost died when Mama was having me. I have Arrhythmia bradycardia . Mama could only remember Cardia... she named me that name because of it" the girl said and I leaned back. "I'll still call you Storm" I said and she pressed her lips together.

"What can I call you then?" She asked me and I stood up from the table. "I've got work. I won't be back till tomorrow evening. If you need anything, talk to Juanita. Don't touch ANYTHING" I said through my teeth and she didn't even look scared. "What sort of work do you have?" She asked and I ignored her. I left the room without looking back at her and I'm sure she was wondering why I was being so mean to her. Suddenly I felt arms around my waist hugged me from behind. In shock I pushed her away.

She looked up at me with a smile on her face. "I thought it might be nice to give my father a hug before he goes to work" she said, she looked very shy. I turned on my heel and left.

Cardia's POV

I felt hurt that he had pushed me away like that. I sighed and went back to finish my pancakes. Aunt Rissa said that he was a hard man and it was true. He looked very tough like he couldn't care less about anyone or anything.

I was starting to feel sad but then I remembered what Mama would do when she was down. "You see baby, there's always a good reason to be sad and mope around BUT you can choose to rejoice and to talk to Jesus about what you need help with. You know Jesus always have the best answer" she would tell me and go  straight to praying.

"Dear Jesus, I pray for Alexander Sterling, he's my dad. I really need help with him. I'm scared he won't love me back" I said and I stopped. It suddenly occurred to me that God loved us so much and carried out his acts of love by giving us Jesus. Then he gave us the opportunity to choose to accept his love or to reject his love.

So like Jesus now, all I have to do is to faithfully love him and expect nothing in return. This would be really hard but I'll try my best.

******

Oh Alexander Sterling........
Comment, share and vote!