Chapter 9: Leave a Mark

----------------------------------

A/N: Characters featured in this chapter's hangout are Peko/Fuyuhiko, Mahiru/Hiyoko, Chiaki, Soda, and slight Nagito. For context, this is still the before the party!

-----------------------------------

I lift my arms above my head, stretching out my shoulders and back as I walk, leaving the abandoned building.

As I pass the cabins I am abruptly pulled into a one. I let out a strangled yelp before I wrench my arm out of the other person's grasp, "What the hell, Soda?" the shorter boy laughs sheepishly, embarrassed. "S-Sorry M/n..." 

I nod, "It's fine, what's up?" Soda pushes his hands deep into his pockets, rocking on his heels, "So, uh... do you know how to dance?" I blink, caught off guard, "Like ballroom or...?" he nods, looking anywhere but my face. I knew a basic waltz, nothing fancy. Would we need to be able to slow dance, anyways?

I look at the mechanic, "I only know basics, if that helps." He nodded eagerly, "Anything!" I take step towards him, startling him into stepping back. I brush my fingertips against his hip, causing him to blush. I then gently grasp his left hand with my right one, intertwining our fingers. Guiding his other hand to my left shoulder, I rest my free hand on his waist. 

I tug him slightly closer, "Just follow my lead." Dazed, the pink-haired male doesn't respond. I recite my movements as I make them, well, Soda's movements so he isn't confused. "Now, I'll step forward with my right foot, so you step back with your left." I patiently guide him through a simple box step, "Forward, side, back, side..." 

I nod, "Yes! You're doing it!" Soda laughs along with me, proud that he managed to learn. I break our pattern, lifting our clasped hands and spinning Soda. He blushes and squeaks in shock as I pull him back into my chest.

I take a step back from the, now flustered, male, "That was great! You're a fast learner." The shorter boy managed to stammer out a quick thanks as he ushered me out of his cabin. I stare at the door as it slams shut, bewildered. I kept walking, and just as I entered the store to get a snack, I overheard two voices.

"Woah... are you going to tell him?"

"Tell him? Are you crazy?!"

"I dunno... it'd be better than lying to his face."

"Yeah, but who knows what he'll think of me if he knew that."

Rounding the corner of one of the isles, I discover the two talking were Mahiru and Hiyoko. Said girls jumped when they noticed my presence. "H-Hey M/n." "Big bro M/n!" I smile at them, "Hey Mahiru, Hiyoko, why aren't you two getting ready with the other girls?" Hiyoko held her kimono closer to her body, which caused me to notice her sash was undone.

Mahiru gestured towards the shelf in front of them, which was full of books and magazines, "Hiyoko doesn't know how to tie her sash, and since I didn't either, I came with her to try and find instructions." I nod, quickly skimming over the books. 

Subconsciously, I had offered to tie Hiyoko's kimono. I deftly tied the ribbon into a traditional bow, relying solely on muscle memory. "How'd you know how to do that?" I furrow my brows, "I don't know, I just knew... It was like my hands were moving on their own." I didn't have a sister, maybe a girlfriend during the school memories I lack?

Regardless, I was able to help Hiyoko. Said girl wrapped her arms tightly around my waist in a hug. I laugh lightly at her energetic demeanor, excusing myself and making my way down the beach. Fuyuhiko seemed to be quite heatedly talking to Peko as you approached. 

"Young master, I advise that you-" "I told you to stop calling me that..." I look at the two, "Is everything alright?" The baby-faced gangster turned his face away from me as Peko nodded, "Yes, everything is alright." I look back and forth between them.

"If you don't mind me asking, did you two know each other prior to this killing game?" After a long silence Fuyuhiko spoke, "Yeah, you could say that." I raise a brow urging him to continue. He crosses his arms, "My family hired hers. We've known each other since we were kids." 

I nod, understanding why Fuyuhiko seemed to be less temperamental around Peko but nobody else. I also give the shorter boy a small smile, grateful he trusts me enough to share part of his past. Our conversation is cut short when I smell something off. The nose of the Yakuza wrinkles as he picks up on the burning smell. I chuckle nervously, "I better go check on the food." Without waiting for a response, I book it towards the hotel.  

Too focused on my destination, I don't notice someone in my way until my momentum knocks them to the ground. I quickly skid to a stop, plastic clattering to the ground as I hurriedly help Chiaki. "Shit, I didn't mean to run into you, Chiaki."

I help the gamer to her feet, frowning when I see her knees scraped up from the impact. She winces slightly and picks up her handheld console which was protected by the plastic casing, "Ah, it's okay M/n, I should've been watching where I was going..." I shake my head, "Same here. Let me at least bring you to Mikan?" She nodded smiling softly, "Okay."

I initially wrapped my arm around her waist to give her support but seeing as she winced every time her knees bent, I opted to carry her instead. I continued towards the cabins, hoping the nurse would be there. As I walked, I listened to the methodical clicking of Chiaki's game, "So, what's your favorite game?"

Her eyes light up at the topic, "My personal favorite is Gala Omega, a true classic, don't you think?" I smile, "What's your high score?" She pauses in thought, "999900... I think." I look at Chiaki in surprise, "That's amazing!" "A score truly fitting for the Ultimate Gamer." I jump on shock, almost dropping the girl in my arms as a result of Nagito's appearance. "Damn it, Nagito. You scared the shit out of me." He laughed dryly, starting to run his hands through his hair. "Hm? what's that on your hands?" 

The lucky boy looked at his hands, "Oh, nothing important." By then we had reached Mikan's cottage, where we dropped off Chiaki. I spoke to the white-haired boy over my shoulder, "It's not nothing. Unless you were planning a murder," I stop halfway up the stairs to look Nagito in the eye,

"Why else would you have glow in the dark paint on your hands?"