Chapter 10: Dead Man's Party

------------------------------

A/n: Sorry for the long wait! To make it up I made this chapter slightly longer, enjoy.

------------------------------

Without waiting for Nagito to respond, I continued up the staircase to determine what was burning. Upon opening the door, I am greeted with smoke, sizzling, and a peculiar aroma. It smelled sweet but there was also a bitter scent that didn't fit.  Poking his head out of the kitchen, Teruteru greeted us casually before grabbing a fire extinguisher and dousing the flames erupting from the stove.

 A few moments later he reemerged, "Glorious timing! I could use someone to try this!" The short chef proclaimed, carrying a covered dish. Akane stood up, upset, "Hey! I'm the taste tester here!" Teruteru gave her a look, "You've eaten everything else. Besides, I can't benefit from you saying everything is good. I need reviews." The gymnast crossed her arms and pouted like a child, "Hmph..."

Teruteru looked back to where I was standing in the doorway, "And now, my newest dish!" He uncovered the plate with a flourish revealing an odd grayish-green soup? I wrinkled my nose in subtle disgust as he explained the dish. "It's corn-based noodles in a spinach and garlic broth with pieces of scallops and, since we were out of paprika, I used cinnamon. Along with a secret ingredient." It was the most repulsive-sounding recipe I had ever heard.  Almost like he had grabbed random ingredients and thrown them into a stew. 

Even Akane didn't want to ingest this food. The short male pointed his wooden spoon in my direction. "Now, you shall get the privilege of tasting my delicacy!" I shook my head frantically, "I can't, I'm allergic to..." my eyes scan over his ingredients, "cinnamon...?" I mentally scowled for sounding so unsure. Teruteru nodded sympathetically, yet I was just glad he believed me.

 Don't get me wrong, I love trying new foods, but that combination sounded nauseating. Besides, I wasn't completely lying. No, I wasn't allergic to cinnamon. But I might as well be with how much I dislike it. I make my way over to Akane and take a small finger food off her plate and pop it into my mouth. 

Nagito burst open the door, "M/n, I swear, I can explain." Suddenly Teruteru caught sight of said male rushing through the doors, "IT'S YOUR LUCKY DAY NAGITO!" I cover my mouth to suppress my laugh at the irony as the white-haired male is ushered to sit in front of the suspicious soup.

All eyes are on Nagito as he hesitantly brought the spoon to his pale lips. He paused and tried to get out of his unfortunate situation, "Actually, I think I heard Hajime calling my... never mind." His attempt fell short as he saw the pointed look on Teruteru's face. Dejectedly, and reluctantly, he put the spoonful of food into his mouth. His face wrinkled almost immediately, and it was clear that he was fighting the urge to vomit. 

Nagito's Adam's apple bobbed as he choked down the vile substance. His face keeps green hue as said boy doubles over. Unfazed, Teruteru takes the dish and waltzes back into the kitchen to make so-called improvements.  Nagito promptly rushed to the bathroom once the cook was out of sight.

---Time Skip brought to you by Akane eating everything in sight---

I stood in front of my floor length mirror in my cabin, adjusting the cuffs of my f/c suit, which was completed with a black tie. It felt slightly awkward to dress so formally on an island for a simple class party. I run my fingers through my hair, attempting to tame it somewhat. Taking a deep breath, I grab my shark tooth necklace off of my desk and put it on before heading to the abandoned building.

Stepping in, I see that I'm the only other one there so far besides Mahiru. I tap her on the shoulder, smiling warmly, "You look beautiful, Mahiru." She blushes grasping some of the olive-green fabric of her knee-length dress, "Thanks, I just found this in the store. Y-You look really handsome yourself!" I smile thanking her as the door opened again.