Chapter 17 - Belong

Start from the beginning

"Why?" He finally asks.

"I'm...uhm, I'm bored."

"Most women would be content with an at home spa."

My eyes narrow. "Are you saying all women are the same?"

Silas copies me by narrowing his eyes. "I'm saying what are you up to Catalina? Thats the second time Bianca's looked out at us from behind the living room door."

"Nothing." Liar. A bead of sweat runs down my back, and I have to ask myself...Do I really want to break his trust? Especially after yesterday morning?

As much as I don't want to admit it, this scam of a marriage is built on it. I trust Silas will give me my money. I trust that he'll let me leave him when the time comes.

As he steps even closer I stumble away from his proximity. "Are we going now?" I blurt out. "Or do you want to keep entertaining me here?"

Amusement lights the back of dark, dark eyes. "Get dressed in five minutes."

~Silas POV~

Another gust of wind knocks my side.

My hands slip into my pockets, shoulders rock hard. Getting whipped with snow was something I never thought I'd despise, until I stand waiting for her.

Catalina looks around as if she's lost. I'm starting to believe the woman hasn't seen snow before she moved here, she's dressed like she's ready to climb Everest.

She burrows into her jacket searching for me through the haze, and I bend down, grab a handful of snow, before balling it up.

When it hits the side of her jacket she tightly clenches her jaw, and I smile. In a sadistic way, pissing her off always gets me going.

"We don't have all day." I call out, and feel her stare on my cheek as she approaches.

"Bully." She mutters as I open her car door, gesturing inside.

Once we're on the road Catalina starts rubbing her hands together and I eye her pink wool mittens. "You ever been to work with your Papa?"

"No?" She says like she's asking herself if she should have.

"That means you don't know what you're walking into."

"Whatever it is, I can handle it."

"My men are brutal, Catalina. Theres a reason I chose them. The compound is where they train so prepare for what you're going to see, otherwise, don't come running to me. I'm not your protector."

She crosses her arms. "I can handle brutal. And I won't come running to you, you aren't my knight in shining armour."

She's confident for a girl who's father locked her away from everything.

She might not think I know, but word gets around fast, and its no surprise her father Santiago has a kink for keeping her under his thumb.

After a short ride through hailing snow and city buildings, the car stops outside a tall skyscraper made of glass. We get out, she spins her head around and then looks up at the building.

"This is it? I was expecting something more..."

"Grim?" I finish, stepping over a sidewalk covered in three inches of snow. Its only when Catalina stops next to me do I see her footwear.

Fucking hell.

Heels.

And red ones too.

She lowers her face and puts her feet together, while I make a mental note to take her shopping again. Before marriage I hadn't stepped foot in a mall, except for Bianca when we were teenagers.