Chapter 43- Scars

(Broken Arrows - Daughtry)

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

During the middle of the night my back started burning but it didn't feel like it did when I changed. This time they came in small bursts in different parts of my back. I managed to push it away and try to sleep. In the morning, Phillip sits me in the lobby while he talks to the receptionist. "A week? I was told 3 days." I hear him say and grow worried. She shakes her head. "They moved up to another 3 days." She explains. "May I know why?" He asks and she flips through some papers. "According to these, he's tried to escape last night. So they tilled him in another 3 days." She says handing him the papers.

Phillip shakes his head. "May we see him?" He asks roughly and she nods. "You may."

He turns around to me and I join his quick pace down the hall. Why would he try to run knowing he only has one more night?

The guard let's us in his cell and I notice he has multiple chains squeezing his wrists together. It was painful to look at. He didn't bother standing up. "Are you out of your mind?" He grits his teeth to keep the volume down. I noticed the sweat glistening off his forehead. His breathing was short. "I know what I did." He says sharply.

"Then why'd you run?" He asks.

He pauses before speaking. "They tried to beat me, so I made a run for it." He says lowly. I quickly remembered how my back hurt last night. But I ignored it. Phillip stayed quiet. "I'll let you two have some time." He mumbles before leaving. Once he shut the door, he didn't move. But his eyes followed me as I circled behind him. I lifted up his shirt and gasp. "That happened after I ran." He says and I stare at the open wounds. "The guards know me well, every night they watch me closely." He says.

"Does it hurt to breathe?" I ask and he nods. I pull his shirt down carefully and swing my leg over the bench he was sitting at. He stared at the doubled chains wrapped tightly around his wrists and I studied his face. I hated seeing him so vulnerable. I hooked one arm around his and laid my other one on his chest. He let's me stay like this for a moment before turning his head to face me. His eyes didn't glow anymore but he fit his lips to mine.

Despite his rough appearance his lips were still soft. He pushes his tongue through and I lean onto his arm. Even as tired as he is, I could still feel the way he wanted me. "I miss you." He mumbles. "Sh." I whisper and press my lips to his again. I don't think any words would make this go away so I decided I shouldn't say anything. "I need you." He pulls away again just far enough to speak. His forehead still laid against mine. "You can make it two more nights."

He pulled away further to look at me. There was something distant in his eyes that worried me.

***

I was bothered the rest of the day. I know I said its only two more nights but I was lying to myself too. Its too long. When dusk came around my back burnt more than anything. More than my change but I was still able to move. I knew the pain was only mental because weare attached but the pain is because he'sin pain. I paced back and forth. They're beating him like last night... and I can't stop it.

I go find his mother. "What are you doing up at this hour?" She asks, disturbed.

"I feel it. They're... beating him." I stutter.

She walks around me and touches my back. I flinch but stayed still. She pulls up my shirt and gasps. "Oh my gosh." She whispers.

"Can Phillip do anything?" I ask and she takes her time to answer.