(23)

=====

=====

Yamaguchi's POV

"T-Talk? Talk about... what?"

"Tell me about what it's like to be a criminal. What goes through your mind when you're committing such heinous crimes?"

This wasn't really a surprise to me, hearing him ask this, I'm sure a lot of people in law enforcement are curious about such a thing, but, still, remembering what he had said over the phone to that guy... makes me wonder if he's becoming self-aware of something.

"There's no need to overthink things, Yamaguchi."

"Huh?"

"You're muttering in my ear. It kinda tickles, haha."

Shouyou rubbed his neck against his shoulder as he turned the bike to the left. The wind helped cool my cheeks, but not so much the embarrassment causing the rising heat in my face.

"Sorry..."

"It's cool. Well..?"

Shouyou smells nice, I noted. His scent of citrus and vanilla was a fatal mix. I could feel myself trying to move closer to his shoulder to catch a better whiff of it.

"I didn't do it because I wanted to," I began quietly, "Most of us didn't. A lot of us just grew up only knowing how to steal or destroy to survive. The rest of us... Most of us only do it to live."

"Are you afraid to leave your home?"

He sure knows how to get to the point. I like that, it means this conversation will end faster.

"It's... all we've ever known. If we left, we wouldn't know how to... live, I guess."

Without a reply, it was silent. The wind whipping past us and the beautiful, flashing view of a destroyed city was the only thing keeping me from wallowing in my embarrassment.

When was the last time I spoke to someone about these things? It's always been a sort of unspoken subject among everyone back at the base, and even at the other bases.

The motorcycle stopped at a small shack tucked between two large, abandoned buildings. Its gentle light was a large contrast to the blinding lights coming from the street lamps and larger buildings.

He stepped off the motorcycle and turned on his heel to meet my eyes. The helmet on his head was peeled off, I took mine off as well and watched him place them on the handles of the bike before holding a hand out to me.

I never thought such a soft smile would ever be directed at me in such an honest way.

"I think it's really noble of you to stay home for so long. That takes a lot of guts, some that even I don't have. What's stronger than even that, though, is gathering the courage to change your home. You have to be one hell of a person to change something so... unchangeable."