Chapter 20: Walk Out

Start from the beginning

"Yeah...to be honest, this is the first time I've said it out loud so..."

Enraged, Mei summons an exceptionally large dragon as her flame continues to fluctuate erratically. "We trusted you. All of us." She cried. "How could you lead us into this fight without a real plan? Time and time again I've watched you put MK in danger. Leaving him to figure out everything on his own. Don't you realize you're hurting the people who care about you the most?" As you listen to her sorrow, you felt her pain. It's what you've been dealing with. The slap of reality Sun needed to hear in front of the team so their eyes could be opened as well.

"She's completely out of control. If there's a time to go, it's now." Macaque suggested.

"No! Mei is my bestfriend. I'd never abandon her when she needed me. We're heroes. It's what we do." MK stated with certainty. Devoted to his dearest friend like any friendship should be. In the midst, Sun and Macaque share a mutual surprise and conviction within. Macaque glances at you apologetically before vanishing. Your chest squeezes to see him flee the scene.

"Macaque is right," Nezha interjected. "We must leave. There's no saving the girl."

Hearing their votes to abandon Mei, caused MK to take matters into his hand. Sun grabs his wrist forbidding him to approach but the brunette manages to slip away and venture into the fire. Everyone watches awestruck as MK comforts the girl pouring his heart out to her, assuring her that everything will be ok as he pushes through. He hugs her, and in the blink of an eye the red flames dissipate. She returns the embrace and bawls her eyes out on his shoulder. The fact that she felt like a product rather than a person and to carry a burden when all along she needed support to lighten it.

You're relieved, So many emotions floating around but at last, you can breathe easy. The moment is short-lived as Mei suddenly pushes MK back.

"I can't. I don't want to hurt you. Any of you." You whimpered. "I'm sorry." She takes off into the air leaving no trace.

"Mei, wait." MK staggers backward only to be caught by his friends. "We have to go after Mei."

"Kid, you're in no state to be going anywhere," Pigsy stated.

"But the Samadhi fire-"

"Should have burned the dragon girl to ash by now, and yet it hasn't. Which is curious." Nezha jumped in.

You look over to the Monkey King. His back turned, having an internal conflict about the ordeal. "Sun." He couldn't hear you. You force yourself up and drag yourself to him. You trip before you could reach him, but he catches you. You raise your head to find shame written on his face. Words were exchanged and I'd you were honest, you agree with Mei. You love Sun but his actions doesn't excuse hurting the people that care about him. Rather than say anything, you hug him. His shoulders drop. You stay that way as Nezha clarifies his observation.

"It means that perhaps there was a good method to Sun Wukong's method after all. If she can learn to control the fire then perhaps her power can help defeat the Lady Bone Demon."

"So all we gotta do is give Mei some fire training? That's easy. All the more reason to go after her." Mk chirped.

"There's no time for that." Sun pulls away and sits you on broken stone. " Now that the samadhi fire is forged, the Lady Bone Demon will stop at nothing to obtain it. If we show up unprepared we might as well hand Mei over to her right now." He starts trailing to the edge. "No. I'm gonna do what I should have done originally. Stop the Lady Bone Demon. Alone." He emphasized.

"No." You objected.

"What? But you said the Samadhi fire is the only thing that can stop her." MK reminded.

"I know what I said!" His frustration begins anew. It was clear how guilty he felt tossing the team into the crossfire. "But I've beaten her before. I'll- I'll do it again." You see him shiver, concerning you of whether or not he possesses enough resolve to take her down. "Mei was right. I need to stop dragging you into my fights. All of you. I'm sorry, bud. I need you to set this one out." With each step, he takes your heart drops.

"Stop!" You shouted, surprising everyone. "Just stop trying to be the hero all the time. Pretending that you got this when you don't. You think you can do everything on your own but don't you realize friends help you make things easy?" Sun remains quiet. "Please don't shut us out." He moves closer to the edge. "Sun! Don't you dare take another step or I'll...I'll..." You wanted to threaten him with ending the relationship, but saying it out loud hurts. It's not at all what you want, and it's not fair to use it as an advantage.

"I'm sorry, (Y/n)." He boards the nimbus and flies off into the distance.

You're left with a broken heart, devastated by the wreck. MK consoles you as you weep. "Ok, If one more of my friends flies off today. I'm gonna lose it. The only way we win is together. That's Monkey Kid 101." He said.

"If Sun Wukong fights the Lady Bone Demon alone, the chances of him surviving are slim," Nezha said as you suspected. Your worst fear of losing yet another love.

"And what are the chances of Mei not destroying the world with the Samadhi fire?" MK asked, perplexing Nezha.

"Less...slim?" He replied unsurely.

"Then it's settled. We gotta go bring Monkey King back."

"You two go. We'll only slow you down." Tang said.

"The four of us will use the T.E.A. and track down Mei," Sandy informed.

"You show him what you're made of, kid."

Last but not least you wipe your tears to give MK good luck words. "Be careful, MK. Strike true. If anybody can get through to Sun it's you."

He squeezes your shoulder once more before Sandy pulls everyone into a group hug. "I just love you guys so much. The embrace is warm and welcoming, soothing your woes. As soon as Sandy lets go of MK, he follows Nezha to the ship. You wave farewell with the boys. In the corner of your eye, you spot a blackbird gliding about. You couldn't tell if it was a crow or Macaque, but you suspect it's the latter.