Chapter 36

Unedited

AMIR

I lazily twirled a pen in my hand, gaze hard with a slight smirk on my face.

My parents sat across from me, neither of us speaking yet I could tell there was a lot to say.

My father's teeth clenched and unclenched occasionally and I wouldn't find it odd if only my mother's fingers didn't twitch every few seconds.

There was something wrong.

I shifted my gaze between them, chuckling at this full circle moment.

There had been many times when I sat across them nervously as a child waiting for them to speak, our power dynamic had shifted.

"You cannot marry that girl" my mother finally shrieked.

There it was, a full blown smile made its way to my lips, just before a dark chuckle. I quirked my eyebrow, eyes shifting to my father who I was sure shared the same sentiments.

"Son. You cannot turn your nose up at tradition. There is a reason why a King's partner was chosen for him for centuries"

I didn't answer, an action I knew irritated them. Their jaws were clamped shut but they ticked in a way that made me aware that they had much to say.

"Tradition?" I light laugh fell from my lips.

"Do you think I value tradition more that I do a gift from the Goddess?" My eyes pinned them to their chairs, my wolf had come forth to defend his Queen.

"You are to marry Adira son" my mother's voice was shrill with desperation.

"You must?"

"Heed your mother's words my son, no man should have this much power" my father who I once saw as the voice of reason spoke.

They mistook me for a naive fool, their demeanor gave a way much more than they thought. And I will find out.

"The wedding is tomorrow. Do what you must with that information" the finality in my voice made their gazes go wide.

And with one gesture of my hand they were escorted from my sight.

Once my office had been cleared, I took calming breaths, trying to come terms to terms as quickly as possible with the fact that the people who I've trusted most couldn't be trusted anymore.

I'll burn them both by the stake if I have to.

My inner beast growled, angry at the thought that there are attempts to withhold what was rightfully his.

"Anger obstructs clarity" my own voice sounded foreign to my ears but the message was loud and clear.

In order to approach this situation properly, I must be in the correct frame of mind.

I felt my anger dissipate and in its place a feeling of numb nothingness. Exactly what I needed to function.

Without second thought, I exited my office and made my way to her. My love, my light, my home.

*

Stepping into my wing, our wing, of the palace has never been this calming. Music blasted from what sounded like the kitchen, and the scent of vanilla champagne candles almost over powered her sweetness. Almost.

I took a deep breath, basking in the calmness, knowing that this wasn't something I was willing to let go. Never.

I felt her before I heard the light patter of her feet, or the gentleness of her voice.

"You're back early" she inched forward, then stopped. Hesitant.

"Come" I commanded, wanting nothing more than to have her in my embrace.

She took an anxious step forward, then another, until she was standing directly in-front of me.

Only then did I open my eyes, looking down at her, the embodiment of perfection.

She gazed up at me with those piercing eyes of gold, and ran her hand through my hair.

"I like it" she whispered, "love it actually. But it's time" she twirled a piece of hair around her finger and I nodded.

If only she knew how much she had me wrapped around that finger of hers.

She moved her hand from my hair to my face, tilting her head to the side. Her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes suddenly held a question.

"Something is bothering you." It wasn't a question, but a statement.

I nodded again.

Hoping she would understand.

"Yes. Call it perfect timing that you mentioned my hair needing to be cut" my nervousness was concealed by a mask of indifference but I worried heavily how she would react.

Her hands didn't leave my face but her eyes were now guarded.

"Hmmm?" She hummed which caused me to gulp.

"We're getting married tomorrow" my back was straight and the hair at the nape of my neck stood straight.

My beasts sat curled in the corner, something he hadn't done since we were pups. There was a lengthy pause and her hands on my face felt colder.

"Are you asking me or are you telling me?" Her sass made me relax just a bit and the easiness of her smirk gave me comfort.

"Because if you're telling me." She finally removed her hand from my face and I instantly missed it. "The answer is no my King"

She took a step back and my beast finally stood up in question.

"But"

I cocked an eyebrow at her.

"If you're asking me. Do it right"

I smirked at her, reaching forward and pulling her into my arms.

Leaning down, I grazed her ear with my teeth, enjoying her embrace.

"You'll fill me in with what's this is about over your haircut" she whispered.

My Queen cannot be blindsided

A full blown smile made its way to my lips, and I planted a kiss on hers.

"What? You thought I wouldn't ask questions?" she laughed.

"On the contrary my Queen. I fully expected you to" with that I captured her lips in a long awaited kiss of passion.

Nothing or no one could take her away from me.

++++++++

Hi my babies,

I'm back! I missed you all.
What has been happening in the time I was away?