99

Mark visited for a little while as he and Derek talked with Sarah and caught up on a few things, their conversations remained light and fun as they teased one another. Derek was feeling a lot more comfortable with Mark around, the gravity of the conversations had been brought down a few notches to more comfortable territory. The conversation moved into the living room at one point, where Derek watched the three little girls becoming tired from their adventures during the day. Zoey had pushed her way into Derek's arms at one point and Morgan had already fallen asleep in Sarah's arms as Mark sighed slightly. "Well... I should probably get going..." He said as he nodded toward a sleepy Sammy leaning against her uncle's arm. "It looks like you have some bedtime to get ready for."

"Yeah... that's stopped you before." Derek said with a chuckle as he looked down at the sleepy girl in his arms.

"I'll see you guys later..." Mark laughed as he leaned over and kissed the little girl in Derek's arms on the cheek. "You be a good little monkey."

"Don't forget your picture, Mister Mark." She mumbled as she yawned.

"Can I keep it here? For safe keeping?" He asked as he watched her nod her head.

"Yep... he just doesn't have any room on his refrigerator... all of those pictures from all of those other little girls he sees all the time." Derek teased as Zoey sat up, her eyes widening, her mouth opening in surprise.

"Take that back!" Mark said as Sarah laughed at the two of them as Zoey started to climb down from Derek's lap. "Lies, Zoey... they're all lies!" He exclaimed as he followed after her as she stomped off toward the kitchen. "You're going to get it, Shepherd." Mark said as he followed her into the other room.

Derek laughed as he glanced to his sister as she yawned. "Well... I should probably get them upstairs and ready for bed..." She said as Morgan pushed her body farther into her mother's arms.

"Go on up... I'll make sure Mark gets out of the house... and I'll bring Zoey up and tuck her in too. I think the girls have their bed spots picked out anyway... You can have the spare room on the left side at the top of the stairs." He shrugged.

"Derek... your house really is beautiful." Sarah said with a smile as she glanced toward the kitchen door as it opened and Zoey stomped back in, holding her finger turkey in her hands as she swung it at Derek, Mark walking into the room after her.

"Here, DD... this is yours... Mister Mark doesn't 'preciate it..." She said as she glared back at Mark, who was still apologizing.

"I think that you should give it to Mister Mark, sweetheart..." Derek laughed as he watched Mark pleading with the little girl. "I think he learned his lesson..."

"You think so?" She asked as she glared back at Mark.

"I think so..." Derek said as he laughed, letting her push herself into his legs for a moment as she thought about it. She turned around and lifted the paper up to him.

"Okay... you can have it... but you have to put it on TOP of all the other little girl's pictures..." She said as she put one hand on her hip and gave him a scrutinizing look.

"There are no other little girl's pictures..." Mark pleaded.

"Hmm..." She sighed. "Then gimme a kiss so I can go to bed..." She said as she turned her head and waited as Mark leaned down and kissed her cheek softly, taking the paper from her hands. "Goodnight, Mister Mark."

"Goodnight Miss Monkey girl..." Mark said with a slight chuckle as he stood up straight and waved toward Sarah and Derek. "Goodnight everyone."

"Goodnight, Mark." Sarah said with a smile. "It was good to see you again."

"It was good to see you..." He said with a smile. "Goodnight..." He said as he waved one more time before he headed for the door and let himself out.

Derek sighed as Zoey turned to smile at him. "Last one upstairs is a tired, old person..." He said as she giggled as she took his hand.

"Let's all go upstairs at the same time then." She laughed as Derek laughed as he glanced to Sarah who was laughing as she stood up holding Morgan, and Sammy crawled sleepily from the couch as they all made their way upstairs together.

The girls were all changed and tucked in, in a matter of minutes, sleeping soundly as soon as their heads hit the pillow. Derek took a step toward the doorway as Sarah walked out in front of him, turning as he checked the room one more time. He turned to Sarah as he sighed. "The hallway light stays on... and we'll keep the door open." He said as he sighed.

"Just in case there are nightmares?" Sarah whispered.

"There will be nightmares." He nodded softly. "It's just... we don't know how bad they'll be." He said as he gave her a sad smile.

"That's..."

"That's just the way it is." He shook his head. "Goodnight, Sarah." He whispered as he stepped toward his bedroom.

"Goodnight, Derek." She said nervously as she looked toward the bedroom.

"She'll be alright." He whispered. "I'm really glad you're here." He said, as he waved slightly and opened his door. "Goodnight." He said softly, as he disappeared into his bedroom.