33

Derek closed his mouth quickly and looked deeply into the little girl's eyes. "If we take her home with us, how am I going to be able to do tests?"

"Tests?" Zoey asked. "Is she going to school?"

"No... no, silly... but you know... I don't have the equipment or the helpers at my house that I'd be able to get here. If we're here at the hospital, she can be fed and taken care of, and get her physical therapy... and not have to worry about being brought to the hospital if she gets sick."

"But she wouldn't get sick... we'd take care of her, Just Derek."

"Sometimes you can't help getting sick... and if you're in school, and she's at home... a cold could follow you home."

"I don't want to go to school, then." Zoey said stubbornly.

And to think that you were doing so well there for a couple minutes...

"But you have to go to school, so that you don't have to sit around and be bored all day while you wait for me to get out of work."

"I can stay here with Sleeping Beauty."

Kid: 1 , Neurosurgeon: 0.

"Zoey..." Derek said softly.

Uh oh, here comes the coddling tone... I can just feel it.

"Huh?" She sighed.

"Why don't we talk to Aunt Cristina... see what she thinks about it?"

Oh! Making Cristina the bad guy! She's going to see right through it! She will so kick your ass... talk to her in here, I want to hear this.

Derek looked up as the door opened slowly, a familiar head popped its way in. "Mister Mark!" Zoey said excitedly as she leapt from the bed to the floor in one quick movement, running across to be lifted high in the air by Mark.

"Little Monkey!" he exclaimed as he kissed the little girl's cheek and looked over to Derek as he sat looking perplexed.

Mister Mark?

"What's going on?" Mark asked as he walked toward the bed and looked down at the sleeping woman.

"Just Derek and me might take Sleeping Beauty home if Aunt Cristina says we can!"

"Oh, you don't want that." Mark said as he shook his head.

"Why not?" She whispered as she glanced to Derek.

"It's a lot of responsibility... I'd just wait it out... let Sleeping Beauty rest here at the hospital where she can get all the help and comfort that she needs... Just Derek is here when he's working, and he'll be able to check on her all day long... and you will be able to see her after school... it'll work out great!"

"So she should stay here?"

"I think it'd be best." Mark replied. "But that's just my opinion." He shrugged. "What do you think, Derek?"

Oh, he's good...

"He thinks she should stay..." Zoey nodded.

"I think she needs to be somewhere she'll be safe... and well taken care of until I get you situated in my house... then we can talk about inviting others to stay with us." Derek nodded. "You working tonight?" Derek asked, watching Mark nod and sigh.

"How did the shopping expedition go?" He asked nonchalantly as he sat down with the little girl in his lap.

"Why don't you ask the little shopaholic you have right there..." Derek nodded with a smile, as they settled back and relaxed.