36

One week later-

"Just Derek! Just Derek! Just Derek! Just Derek!" Zoey called from upstairs as she hopped about.

"What on earth is all the yelling for?" Derek asked as he walked through the hallway, picking up a toy here and there as he got to the bottom of the stairs.

"I cannot find my shoe!"

"It's in your hand..." He said, pointing at the shoe on the little girl's hand as she looked down at it.

"Not that one, the pink sparkly shoes! I don't know where they are! I want to wear those!"

"Did you check in your closet?"

"No."

"Hurry... if you want to stop by the hospital before school, you have to hurry..."

"Oh no!" She squealed as she turned and took off toward her room.

"You crazy nut..." Derek whispered as he listened to her squealing in delight as she hopped around upstairs upon finding her shoes. It took only a moment and her smiling face was coming toward him as her little pigtails bounced as she bounded down the stairs.

"I am so ready! I am so ready! I am so ready!"

"Where's your backpack?" Derek asked with a chuckle.

"I am so not ready... I am so not ready... I am so not ready..." She panted as she turned and ran back up the stairs to get her backpack as Derek laughed, waiting for her to come back downstairs so they could leave.