30. Danger.

Samantha

It's 9 am on a random Friday. The engaged couple spend the early morning making love. Henry has to leave for the remainder of the day to attend to a few errands regarding the house in Westport. He'll be meeting with the realtor and signing papers. After that, he's going to find a moving company to help pack the house up and transport the furniture they're wanting to take with them.

He goes to shower and change into one of his suits. She stays cuddled up on his side of the bed, half asleep and half awake. He comes out with that handsome, determined look on his face, smelling like his Burberry cologne. He leans down to kiss her forehead and say goodbye. "I'll see you this evening. Think about what you'd like for dinner."

She smiles with her eyes closed and nods. After he leaves, Red climbs up onto the bed and cuddles her until she wakes up again around noon. She climbs out of bed, pulling on her nightgown and the matching silk robe. Red beckons her downstairs and signals she needs to go out.

She's sliding the back door close when the door bell rings. Henry wouldn't be ringing the doorbell. He'd come through the garage how he always does.

She shuffles through the dining room and living room, past the stair case, and unlocks the door. The sight that greets her on the other side is possibly one of the last that she expected. And also the reason she should probably check before opening her door, especially in times like these.

Levi Rogers stands there confidently, his back straight, his shoulders lifted. He's dressed in another well tailored suit and his jet black hair has that effortless look that probably wasn't effortless at all.

"Samantha Chambers." He smiles.

The pleasant mood she was in seconds earlier vanishes. In its place is irritation and anxiety, which makes sense when your ex husband's lawyer is standing in the doorway of the place you feel safest, and it's the only time your fiancé is away.

She tugs at the tie on her robe, pulling the silk closer around her body. It still makes her feel exposed since it sticks to her like a second layer of skin. "That's not my last name anymore."

"Legally it is."

"Right. Since you mention that, maybe I should direct you to contact my attorney. We have yet to see a signature on those papers we served almost a month ago." She brings the door closer to her side, refusing to expose more of her hide away to his judgmental glare.

"It's on the list," Levi's eyes trail down her body. He makes it painfully obvious when he drags them back up to hers. "Love the housewife look you have going on here. You probably just woke up, right?"

Pain in the ass. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"Ouch." Levi fakes a wounded expression. He has something at his side, she hasn't noticed it until now when he brings it forward and presents it to her. A black photo album. "Thought you wanted this back. But I can take it back since you clearly don't—"

He starts to turn away with it and she rolls her eyes, letting go of the door and stepping forward to stop him. "Give it to me." She quickly retrieves it from his hands and holds it close to her chest.

He's smirking when he turns to face her again and she automatically takes a step back into the house. "You're welcome by the way."

"Yes. Thank you for showing up unannounced to my home." She mutters. "Thank you for representing the person who's only ever caused me hell."

"Some of us have to work for a living, sweet cheeks." His voice is a warning. He runs a hand through his hair. It's obvious he's holding back from saying everything he could. "Think what you like about me. But you don't know me at all. You don't know the things I've done to try to help you—"