11. You Are A Special One, Aren't You?

He's so caught up in this moment— caught up in serenity of finally having her in his arms again, caught up in the taste of her lips and her vanilla skin— that he barely hears her request at first. Clearly, he's not thinking rationally here because it's taking everything in him not to take her right there in this room, regardless of the fact that there is a party happening right below them in celebration of her husband. He finds the will to pull away from her skin just enough to focus on the end of what she's saying. She wants to leave this place and be alone with him. It's practically music to his ears. He smiles gently as he lowers her back onto the ground, watching her slide down the wall he's pressed her against until she's standing straight again.

"Are you sure?" This whole thing is impulsive, if he's being honest with himself. But he's tired of fighting this. He's tired of always doing the right thing when everyone else in this world seems to get away with their wrongs.

"Are you?" She asks in a teasing voice.

"I've been sure about you, Samantha," He says, sweeping a lock of hair behind her ear. "My only concern is that I'm not doing anything to add additional stress to your life. If you tell me you want me to take you away from here, I won't hesitate. But I'm not sure your absence would go entirely unnoticed. And I don't want to put you in a position where you have to... lie to anyone or do something you're not comfortable with."

"It's a bit too late for that," She mumbles, letting out a sigh. "I know you're right. You're always right. I just... I'm sorry. I'm not thinking about anything else. Part of me wants to go downstairs right now and just ask for the divorce. But..."

"It's not as simple as that." He finishes for her.

She shakes her head. Her nose starts to prickle and she can feel the tears forming in her eyes. "I'm sorry. I know this isn't fair to you. I know that you deserve so much more than I can give you right now. It's just... it's so complicated and I'm scared. I don't want you to think it has anything to do with feelings for him. It's nothing like that—"

"Shh," He whispers, leaning forward to press his lips to her forehead. He stays there for a moment, savoring every second he has here because he's not sure what's going to happen after they leave this room. "I don't think that at all." He says once he pulls away to look in her eyes. "Even if that was the case, and there was still a part of you in love with him, I would understand and accept that. It wouldn't change anything about what I feel for you."

"But—"

He captures her bottom lip gently between his thumb and index finger, shaking his head. "I'm not done. If you say you don't, then I will accept that as well. It's important that you understand that I have no expectations for you, for this. If you woke up tomorrow and decided you never wanted to see me again, it would absolutely break my heart but I would respect your wishes. I'm... just as confused as you are. I've never done anything like this before. What I do know is what I've told you. There is no doubt in my mind that you're what I want, Samantha. That's all that matters to me right now. I don't care what that looks like. If you decide to stay with him, if you decide to leave, if you choose to... sneak around with me or we only see each other once in a blue moon. I will take whatever I can get."

"You make it sound so easy." Her voice cracks.

"It's not. None of this will be easy. In fact, it will probably get much harder, regardless of what choice you make," He says. "All I can promise you is that I am here and I will be here for as long as you will have me. And we can figure this out together— if you want. I will do whatever I can to protect you, to keep you safe, to make you happy, to help you through this, whatever that looks like."

She sniffles, tilting her head back against the wall and returning her hands to inside his tuxedo jacket. She grips the fabric of his button up underneath, urging his body close to hers again until their mouths meet. It's another kiss that starts off sweet and gentle but within seconds, it becomes that same desperate and urgent kiss from a few moments ago. She doesn't know how long passes before she finally manages to pull herself away from him enough to stop her head from swimming.