26. What Happens When We Get Back?

Henry

The two lovebirds spend the rest of their vacation exploring the island, snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins, making love in every corner of their villa. They walk hand in hand together on the beach, she collects sea shells and rocks and he carries them in his pockets for her.

On the morning of their last day here, he wakes up before her. He strokes her long brown hair and leans down to kiss her head, leaving her there, naked and tangled in the bed sheets. He makes his way into the kitchen, starting some coffee and then cutting up some fresh fruit. He pops some bread into the toaster, collecting the butter dish along with some jam. He cracks some eggs into a frying pan, preparing her favorite which is sunny side up. Once it's all ready, he brings the plates of food out to the table on the back deck. It's as he sits down that his phone begins to ring.

It's his sister Nicole. It's about 3:00 o'clock in New York now, he believes. He hits accept. "Hello?"

"Uncle Henry?" It's his niece Sophie's voice on the other end.

"Hey you!" He smiles. He hears a car engine purring in the background. "Sounds like Mom just picked you up from school."

"Yeah. She picked me up in your Lambo. All my friends were freaking out. You should've seen it!" She says excitedly. "Except Mom might need some driving lessons when you come back. I don't think she knows how to drive a stick shift very well."

"Sophie!" Nicole's voice can be heard in the background.

"I'm just kidding, Mom," Sophie says and then she whispers into the phone. "I'm not kidding."

"You know I can still hear you, right?" Nicole says.

"Anyways," Sophie starts. "We're headed to the grocery store now. Mom says I can choose dinner for tomorrow. Does Samantha like spaghetti and meatballs?"

He chuckles. "She does. Although I haven't had the chance to prepare her grandma's famous recipe. Think you can do it justice tonight?"

"Duh!"

"Here, let me speak with him. Can you put it on speaker?" Her mother asks in the background.

"Hold on, mom wants to talk to you." He hears her tapping on the phone screen. "Okay, uncle Henry you're on speaker phone so don't say anything about me being your favorite or mom's awful driving."

"Nice," Nicole says. "Hey, Henny. I hope we're not disturbing you?"

It's a nickname from their childhood. When they were little, Nicole couldn't pronounce her R's very well, which is how he became Henny to her. She's the only one allowed to call him that.

"Not at all. Just woke up and made breakfast." He takes a sip of coffee.

"I take it Samantha said yes?"

"Of course. Like there's any other answer to give me?"

"I'm sure it was easy when you're as humble as you are," She teases back. "Well, we won't keep you longer. We just wanted to check in and let you know what was on the menu for dinner tomorrow night. We can't wait to meet her."

"She's excited to meet you guys too."

"Say goodbye to uncle Henry." Nicole says.