9. I Promise I'll Explain Everything Later

Samantha

Sometimes it feels like the universe is messing with her just for the hell of it. It's like as soon as she's happy, something has to come up or someone has to rip it away from her. Tonight isn't any different. It happens as they're lying in front of the fireplace, naked and tangled, laughing and exchanging stories of their childhood. Her phone starts to ring from her purse. She waves her hand, telling him to ignore it. There's no one else in the world she wants to talk to right now. It stops after a minute but then another call comes in. It's a specific ringtone, one she set for that person so she would hopefully never miss a call.

She doesn't think. She just reacts, jumping quickly to her feet to retrieve the phone. She makes several apologies to Henry as she does this. "Hello?" She breathes into the phone when she answers.

When she's off the phone, she turns back to Henry, who is already putting his pants on and giving her a look of concern. She shakes her head, afraid that if she says it all the tears will come and they won't stop. "I'm sorry, I have to go." She whispers, quickly moving to put her golf skirt back on then her shirt.

"Is everything okay?" Henry's voice is soft. He's already dressed, helping her gather her things.

"No, it's not. It's really not," Her voice cracks. She finishes putting on her shoes and then remembers she didn't drive herself here. "Shit. I've got to call an Uber or something."

"Just tell me where to go. I'll drive you."

"N-No. Y-You don't have to—"

"Hey," His voice is gentle and his hands move to her waist, centering her so she can look at him. He gives a small smile when their eyes connect. "I know I don't have to."

"I just feel bad."

"Don't feel bad. I wouldn't offer if I didn't want to." He squeezes her waist before sweeping some hair from her eyes. "Do me a favor though? Take a deep breath. Whatever's going on, it'll be okay."

And when he says that, she really wishes she could believe it.

Henry

She gives him directions to a hospital near his office. He's full of questions and concerns but he doesn't voice them or pry. Obviously something's happened. He wonders if it's Cody and that thought makes his stomach twist with guilt. Imagine something horrible happens to the guy and in the same night their marriage counselor beds his wife.

As he drives, he keeps glancing over at her in the passenger seat. Her hands are shaking and her face is drained of all color. It looks like she's doing everything she can not to cry right there. There's several times in the car ride that he thinks about reaching out to her, taking her hand, just to let her know she's not alone. But he decides against this because he doesn't want to add any more stress. He also doesn't know where they stand. Would it be appropriate for him to touch her like that? Does she want that? It's these kinds of questions he's trying to avoid right now. They can always deal with their situation later.