18. Do You Think It's Too Soon?

Henry

He arrives at the party right on time with Rebecca on his arm. The two of them blend right into the crowd of other guests showing up. He catches sight of Stephen and Claire, who are too preoccupied in a conversation involving a man that looks like the city mayor.

"Here. Maybe this will help with that terrified look on your face." Rebecca says next to him, holding out a glass of champagne.

"Oh, thank you," He takes it without thinking, his eyes still scanning the faces of the crowd for the only person that matters. "I don't see her, do you?"

Rebecca shakes her head. "She'll be here. Don't worry."

It's much easier said than done. He looks down at the bubbly liquid, taking a long sip from his glass. He'll need something stronger than this for tonight. And until he sees Samantha and confirms she's okay, he's going to be on edge.

"I appreciate you being here for her," He tells her best friend. "For us. I'm thankful she has someone like you in her life."

This comment makes Rebecca smile. She's just as thankful to have Sam in her life. They've been through everything together, and all she wants now is to see her friend happy and free. "Come on. Let's dance."

He's about to protest but she's already dragging him out of the house and into the backyard, onto the dance floor where other guests sway and move to the band's live performance. He starts to lead her, glancing back at the house every now and then.

"So I couldn't help but notice that ring box in your center console," Rebecca starts and his shocked face makes her laugh. "Relax. Your secret's safe with me."

His cheeks flush. "Do you think it's too soon?"

She allows him to spin her before she answers. "With anyone else, I'd say yes. But with you, it's not soon enough."

He can't help but chuckle. "Well, thank you. I think."

"When is this going to happen?" Her eyes are filled with excitement.

"I'd do it now if I could," He means it. Last week, he woke up next to Samantha, kissed her head, and ran to pick out the ring while she slept. He was back before she woke up or noticed his absence. "Once this is all said and done. I want to give her time."

"I don't think she needs any time." Rebecca says confidently. She knows Sam and she knows how much Sam loves Henry. "Not to pressure you or anything. It's your decision at the end of the day. But if you're asking me, she'd run off into the sunset with you today if she could. I've never seen her happier."

"That's all I want for her—"

As he says this, the band suddenly quiets, along with the chatter happening in the backyard. Rebecca and Henry stop dancing, looking in the direction everyone else is, wondering what's going on. But then he sees what's caught their attention as Cody and Samantha walk through the parted crowd. The two make their way to the stage where the rest of the Chambers family stand.

Henry's too distracted with the sight of his girl to even hear a word of Stephen's speech. It takes everything in him to keep from walking up to that stage, grabbing her hand, and taking her away from here. His eyes drink in every detail of her; the long legs covered by the sheer fabric of her tights. His mind wanders, how easy it would be to tear those off, to bury his face between those thighs of hers... She's wearing a black dress that hugs every curve of her body. It's like she's trying to tempt him. Her breasts practically spill out the top, ensuring everyone in attendance knows just how well endowed Cody Chambers' wife is. Some men may feel threatened having their significant other dressed like that but not Henry. This woman is his. People can look but only he can touch her. Only he can touch, caress, and kiss those sacred places on her body that make her moan, giggle, beg, and cum. The thought of doing so forces him to have to awkwardly shift. This is the worst place and the worse time to have a boner.