Chapter 8

"Okay mom, Jess it is time to go," I shout, standing at the bottom of the stairs

"Okay mom, Jess it is time to go," I shout, standing at the bottom of the stairs. I've been repeating that for the last fifteen minutes but neither of them have been ready.

"I'm coming," Jess calls. She rushes into the room, a little breathless but fully dressed. "Where's mom?"

"In the kitchen," my mom shouts. I walk through, Jess following and see she's made a lot of food.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I've made food," she says, and I nod because I can see that. "There is no chance Pam will be coming to visit or care enough to make sure he's doing okay. Right now, he needs a mom and I'm the closest thing he has."

"I'm sure he will appreciate it," I reassure her. "But we do need to head off now."

I watch as she finishes what she was doing and hands me a large box.

"Put this in the car," she tells me. "I'll lock up and meet you there."

Jess and I make our way to my car. I put the box in the boot and then climb behind the driver's seat. Jess gets in the car behind me.

"Is he really sick?" Jess asks me quietly.

"He doesn't look sick," I tell her softly. I turn so she can see me. "But he is a little unwell. He's probably going to be a little loopy, like remember when I got my wisdom teeth out?"

"I remember," she says, nodding.

"Like that. He's on some medications that will make him act different," I tell her. "But he's okay."

"Oh," she says. "But he's going to get better?"

"Of course, he is," I tell her. "We just need to be there for him until he does."

"Okay," she replies.

She's fourteen years old, and I'm not sure when it's appropriate to talk about mental health and things. That's mom's job. I just want to make sure she doesn't upset him further.

"Will Luke and the others be there?" Jess asks me.

"Yes," I reply.

"Good," she tells me. We sit silently for a few more minutes until my mom comes out. She has another box in her hands, although a bit smaller. She puts it on the back seat before climbing in the front.

"Sorry I took so long," she tells us.

"What's in this box?" Jess asks.

"I ordered some art sets for Gabe. I got them for Christmas, but it doesn't hurt for him to have them early," she replies.

"Cool," my sister says. We continue the drive in silence, and I notice my mom is in uniform. She's probably coming into work even though I thought she had the day off.

"Is Sang going to be there?" my mom asks me, with a smile. She has made it very clear that she approves of Sang and thinks we should date. She hasn't tried to hide this from me, and it's reassuring—if a little weird.