Chapter 4

I rush out Owen's hospital room and make my way into an empty room across the hall

I rush out Owen's hospital room and make my way into an empty room across the hall. I lock the door behind me and collapse into one of the seats. My body starts shaking as I silently cry. I hate confrontation. I hate that I had to stand up against Owen, and I feel so bad that I ran off. This has already been a difficult morning and I've only been in the building for an hour. I silently cry for another few minutes, before walking into the bathroom. I wipe my face and put a smile back on.

I walk back out into the hallway and see Owen's room has eight visitors. I'm assuming his family is here. I walk down to floor one and begin doing my rounds. I am feeling a lot better after I get to check on these patients, and I sit at the nurses' station to update their files. My phone beeps, and I check the screen noting that I'm being paged to the ER.

I head down to the ER quickly, and it seems quite calm here. I head over to the nurses and ask where I am needed. They direct me to bay three and inform me that the patient has come in with abdominal cramps, and as I walk over there, I see a little girl lying on the bed, with who I assume is her mom.

"Hi," I call out. "My name is Dr Sorenson. I'm here to look over your tummy."

"Hi," the little girl squeaks out, the pain clear on her face. "I'm Cassie."

"It's nice to meet you Cassie. I heard you have a sore tummy; do you mind if I have a look?" I ask her.

"It hurts," Cassie cries.

"Let the doctor check it over baby," her mom tells her. Cassie reluctantly nods, and I inch closer.

"I'm going to press down on your tummy in different spots, and I need you to tell me where it hurts the most, okay?" I tell her.

"Okay," she replies.

I begin pressing down and she tells me where is hurting the most. I think that this could be a case of appendicitis. I check her temperature, and it's at 102F.

"Are you feeling sick, Cassie?" I ask her.

"No," she says, shaking her head. "It just hurts."

"That's really good," I tell her. I turn to her mom, "We're going to need to get Cassie in for an ultrasound. I suspect that she has appendicitis, but I want to get this confirmed."

"What does that mean?" her mom asks.

"It means her appendix is inflamed. There is no reason why this happens, but it is extremely painful. It requires a simple procedure to remove it, called an appendectomy, and this will resolve her pain. I will explain this in more detail later on, once the diagnosis is confirmed," I tell her. "Just hang in there for a little while longer. I will go and tell the nurses to prepare her for an ultrasound, and to prepare a room upstairs."

"Okay... okay. I need to call her dad," she says, sounding scared. "I need him here with us."

"Do you want me to do that for you?" I offer. "You can stay here with Cassie whilst I call."