Chapter 6

I'm seven hours into my fifteen hour shift, and I'm exhausted

I'm seven hours into my fifteen hour shift, and I'm exhausted. A patient died this morning, not one of mine, but I assisted in the code blue. Her son was coming to visit her, and he never even got the chance to say goodbye. She was admitted due to a heart attack and was doing really well all things considered. She had another heart attack, and we just couldn't save her. Death is never easy, but sometimes it hits me harder than others.

I went down to floor four to cover a break, and a man who was admitted decided to spit on me and I can honestly say that today is one of the days where I don't enjoy my job. I hope that the next eight hours go smoothly.

I'm currently sat at the nurses' station on my floor, checking over the rota so I know who we have coming in later. I'm using it as an excuse to clear my head for five minutes. A buzzer goes off from room seven, and I jump up and head over. I walk into the room and the man asks for some water. I check his chart and see he has surgery in an hour.

"You can't have anything to drink," I tell him. "You've got surgery coming up, and it'll only make you feel sick during."

"I'm thirsty," he says.

"I know you are, and as soon as the surgery is over, we can get fluids into your system," I tell him. "You can't have anything right now because you may be sick during the surgery with the anaesthesia in your system. It'll be dangerous."

"You're not even a doctor," he snarls. Great, I love when they pull that card. "Get me a real doctor who can get me some water."

I nod my head, plaster a smile on my face and leave the room. I bump into someone, and I quickly apologise.

"Are you okay Erica?" Sang asks.

"Not particularly," I say. "It's been an awful day."

"Want to go for coffee?" she replies. I honestly don't know how she always knows what I need. This way I can find out what's new in her life—she might even have moved forward with Kota.

"Yes," I tell. "I just need to get a doctor paged to deal with a patient first."

"I can help," she offers. That's one thing I truly love about her. She's so eager to help in any way she can. "What does he need?"

"He wanted water and I explained he can't have any until after his surgery and he demanded to speak to a doctor," I tell her.

"Is he in there?" she asks, pointing to the room I've just left.

"Yeah," I reply. As much as I don't want to subject Sang to his poor attitude, I know she can handle it. She's great with patients.

"No worries," she says. "Wait here for me and we can go for coffee."

I head back to the nurses' station and not even ten minutes later Sang leaves, with that perfect smile still in place. I can't wait for the grandbabies that will come from her and Kota.